Kentucky Butter Cake

Cake Friday was back this week and I made a Kentucky Butter Cake.  The Fiance said this might be her favorite cake.
 Recipe:



  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp baking soda
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
  • 4 eggs
  • BUTTER SAUCE:
  • ¾ cup sugar
  • ⅓ cup butter
  • 3 Tbsp water
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour a large bundt pan and set aside. ***something new I just figured out is to forgo the flour and sugar the pan instead.  No Sticking!!!
  2. In the bowl of your mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until blended. Add the eggs one at a time, then the vanilla. Add the salt, baking powder, and baking soda, then add the flour and buttermilk, alternating after each addition until a thick batter has formed.
  3. Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan. Bake for approx. 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for about 15 minutes.
  4. While cake partially cools, make the butter sauce. In a small saucepan, combine all the butter sauce ingredients. Heat until bubbles just begin to show up around the edges of the pan. Remove from heat. Poke holes all over the surface of the cake and down into the cake, be careful not to puncture all the way through. Pour the butter sauce evenly over the top of the cake and allow the cake to cool completely in the pan, allowing the butter sauce to set.
  5. Once cake has completely cooled, invert onto a wire rack and dust with powdered sugar.




Comments

Anonymous said…
wow, thats some cake!!!
a writing place said…
Happy Beltane!!!

Tessa
Anonymous said…
It does look delicious so I'll try this one.

I've written down the little advice I have on the vole problem in my answer to You in my blog. Ferrit or mink poop is possibly the best thing to use.

Have a great day!

Christer.
Looks dee-LISH! Beltane Blessings to you, Joyce!
Guillaume said…
Oh it looks like my sort of cake for an afternoon tea! I know so very little about Kentucky. Only KFC, Rupert T. Pickens who is a great medievalist who teaches (taught?) at the University of Kentucky and now this cake.
Mary Ann said…
I wanted a plainish cake to make this week because the grands are coming to help garden next Saturday, and this fits the bill!
Kev Alviti said…
Looks amazing! I think if I lived with you I'd be the size of a house, I just wouldn't stop eating all that cake!
TARYTERRE said…
Kentucky is on my mind this week. This cake looks amazing.
Jeannine520 said…
I've been making this cake at least once a month for years. I take it to pot lucks, picnics and parties and it's always wiped out quickly with many requests for the recipe. Fabulous with strawberries and ice cream. I urge all to give this a try.
Tikkun said…
Any cake especially homemade for me on a weekly basis is my favorite cake ;).
It sounds just delicious, Joyce!
Unknown said…
I made these yesterday for a dinner party. The cake is very dry, so you need the sauce. I made a favorite sauce, not this one, and it didn't soak in, so we poured out over the top. Make sure your sauce is thin enough to soak in. Will make it again! Thank you for sharing!
jaz@octoberfarm said…
hmmmm...i'm not sure what you did wrong because this cake is very moist even before you pour the syrup over it.
Unknown said…
Well, Jaz, I am a chef. I mized the ingredients properly before I started. I do intend to make it again. I'll see how it turns out next time.