Individual Meatloaves


 I spent all day yesterday cooking for my two kids and their significant others.  I made them french bread, Reuben sandwiches, Scotch eggs and their favorite meatloaf dinner.  They all work so hard and long hours and I like them having some good food to eat when they get home after work.  All they have to do is warm it up.

 I started by making a rich gravy which always makes everything better.

 It's a good way to clean out your vegetable bin too.  I used celery, celeriac, parsnips, turnips, carrots, garlic and onions.  Cook them in a few tablespoons of olive oil until they form a brown crust.

 Add 1 cup of a hearty red wine.  Stir to de-glaze the pan.
Sprinkle about 1/3 cup of flour and stir for 2 minutes.

 Add some herbs...thyme, sage, rosemary and bay leaves.  Add 6-8 cups of beef stock depending on how thick you want the gravy.  I used 8 cups.  Bring it to a low boil until you see it start to thicken and then turn it down to a simmer.

After about 30 minutes, strain it and add salt and pepper to taste and some diced fresh parsley.                 
 For the meatloaves I mixed 1 cup of cracker crumbs with 2 pounds of ground beef and 1 pound of ground pork.  Add fresh parsley, 4 eggs, 8 pieces of crumbled cooked bacon, 1/2 cup of milk, a sauteed onion and 1 diced sauteed green pepper.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Cook a small piece and add additional flavors as needed.

 I formed them using metal rings and then wrapped them in thin sliced bacon.  Cook them at 350 degrees until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.

 I also made a bechemal sauce .

 To make creamed spinach.

I ladled gravy into a bowl, floated a piece of garlic toast on it, topped it with a mini meatloaf then some creamy mashed potatoes topped with a scoop of creamed spinach.  I added butter roasted carrots on the side.  Comfort food at it's best!

Comments

Diane said…
Like those individual meat loaves what a great idea. Will by trying that one Thanks Diane
CalamityJr said…
Now I'm hungry! and sad that your meatloaf will take too long to have for breakfast, lol.
Ian's Girl said…
These look amazing and I am especially intrigued by the gravy. You always take such good care of those you love!
Gemmagirl said…
As usual, a lovely, hearty meal. What a mom!
Guillaume said…
Both hearty and fancy. Love it.
Unknown said…
I love this post! Will you adopt me?!
Agnieszka said…
The meatloaf looks delicious, but your creamed spinach gave me an inspiration for tonight's dinner! Thank you :-)