Art is in The Eye of the Beholder

I've been an art collector for many many years.  Click any of the pics for a closer look.  This is one of my favorites.  I don't like "pretty" art.  I like art that makes me think.  I've actually observed over the years that something that at first repulses me, is actually something that I am attracted to at a deeper level.

 The Blog tech in his younger years when he had his hair dyed blond.

 I love these wire figures that I bought in Seattle many moons ago.  They sit behind Westmoreland glass witch balls.  The balls have holes in the top to collect bad energy in your home.  Mine are full.  That's a stack of hand bound witch books and journals next to them.

 I really love etchings.  I bought this "Annunciation Series" set on the island of Islesboro, Maine when we used to vacation there.

 I'm always intrigued by what goes on in these artist's minds.

 You know how when you live with something for years, you stop noticing it?

 Occasionally I have to go on an art walk through my house and study what I have.

 And interestingly, they fascinate me as much today as when I bought them.

Yep, cutesy art is not for me.  No flowers or birds in my house. I go for the dark side.

Comments

Interesting! My favourite is the crone with the sickle.
Susan said…
I have to agree - I am drawn to darker subjects as well. I am especially attracted to lighting and form that allows me to imagine what it is. Motherwell is one of my favorites, although I can't afford to hang any of it in my home.
Valerie said…
Yes, I know what you mean. I have pieces that I still don't know if I 'like' or not. But they compel me. A friend of mine would regularly change up her collection, put some away, place others in a new environment. It really changes the way you encounter a work, to see it literally in a new light. Thank you for sharing some of your collection!
Leanna said…
I love that first one. Very interesting. Makes you think.
Anonymous said…
Most of the art I have in my home comes from my brother who is an artist. I don't need pretty art either but it has to say something to me.Then again I do have one painting that is pretty and I do like it a lot, mostly because I can see the ocean in it :-)

Have a great day!

Christer.
Kay said…
Wow! I'm wondering what the message is in each painting and drawing too. They really make you wonder.
TARYTERRE said…
Each and every one, thought provoking, indeed!
Well...um..........thinking..
chickpea678 said…
That annunciation series is interesting! And the first one! Striking!