Kashka Bademjan, Persian Eggplant Dip

I know this doesn't look like much (it actually looks like my counter) but believe me, if you like eggplant, you will love this.  Years ago I played tennis with a woman from Egypt who taught me how to make this recipe.  It's similar to baba ganoush but it uses no tahini.




  • 1/4 cup or less, extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 large eggplants, roasted & mashed
  • 1 large onion, sliced thin
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons dried mint leaves
  • 1 tablespoon sour cream
  • 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads, soaked in 2 tablespoons of hot water
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • garnish with chopped walnuts, caramelized onions & fresh chopped mint


  1. Roast Eggplant coated with olive oil in a 400 degree oven until the skin is charred and the eggplant releases liquid. Take the roasted eggplant out of the oven, cover and let it rest for 10 minutes.  You can also cook these on the grill for a natural smokey flavor.

  1. Heat a heavy bottom pan and add olive oil to it. Now add the sliced onions and caramelize the onion on a medium heat.
  1. Spoon out the onions onto paper towels leaving the oil behind in the pan.

  1. Now add the garlic and saute for 2 minutes.
 Cut the eggplant and strip the skin off.


 Mash the eggplant using a potato masher.
To the same pan, add the roasted eggplant mixture{mashed}, caramelized onions, saffron liquid, lemon juice, turmeric powder, mint and salt/pepper. Saute for few more minutes.  Add a bit of liquid smoke if you roasted the eggplant in the oven.


Serve this with pita bread or chips.


I made stuffed grape leaves and served them on top of this sprinkled with feta cheese.

This was so good that I am making a double recipe of it right now.

Comments

Rain said…
That looks delicious! I'm always trying to find ways to add more eggplant to our meal plan. So far I've been stuck on just using them in calzones. I like the idea of this with Feta too. :)
Anonymous said…
I must admit that I'm not a big fan of eggplant, I eat it if someone asks me to but that's it :-)

Have a great day!

Christer.
greekwitch said…
Oh wow! Stuffed grape leaves, feta and eggplant dip it's like all my favorite foods combined!!
TARYTERRE said…
What a dish. Sounds delicious and add those stuffed grape leaves I'm all in.