Meatballs and 'Greens and Beans'


Yesterday I made the meatballs to go with the bolognese.  The Blog Tech said they are the best meatballs he's ever eaten.  Thanks Blog Tech!  I made 80 of these so I will give you the recipe for about 25 give or take a meatball or two, it depends on how big you make them.   Mix 1 pound of ground pork with 1 pound of ground beef and 1 pound of sage sausage.  Add 5 eggs, 2 cups of crushed Ritz crackers, 1 T. oregano, 1 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. pepper, 2 T. minced parsley, 1/3 C. milk, 1 grated medium onion,  1/2 C. Parmesan cheese, 6 cloves of grated garlic mixed into 1/3 C. melted butter. I added 3 minced jalapenos (or minced green pepper) to this.  Mix until combined and cook a piece and taste it....adjust seasoning if necessary.
Form into balls...I made mine sort of large.  Place them on greased cookie sheets and bake them at 350 degrees for 23 minutes.

Let them cool on the trays.

I also made beans and greens.  The secret to good greens is to blanch them in heavily salted water for 5 minutes.  Otherwise, they will be bitter.  This is 3 bunches of broccoli rabe.

3 cans of cannelloni beans, drained and rinsed.
Brown 2 pounds of Italian sausage, hot or sweet, your choice.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and sprinkle with some red pepper flakes.  It depends on how spicy you want it.  Add 2 anchovies and 2 minced garlic cloves.

Stir in the broccoli rabe and beans.

Add a splash of white wine and some chicken stock.  You want to moisten  it but it shouldn't be soupy.

Taste for seasoning and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese before serving.

I'm working on desserts today!

Comments

Dee said…
Please bring back the list of blogs - I enjoyed several of them.
jaz@octoberfarm said…
they are still there. just scroll down on my main page.
Leanna said…
My oh MY!!! That is gonna be some great meal.
Linda said…
I actually like the bitterness of greens. Those meatballs look and sound delicious. I never thought of adding sausage to meatballs. I cannot have beef, but I imagine they would still be delicious.
Anonymous said…
I hadto check the freezer, no ground beef or ground anything, so I'll have to try this another time!

Have a great day!

Christer.
Rain said…
The food looks delicious! Can't wait to see the desserts! :)
Susan said…
I love beans and greens! I'll have to try your recipe because, as with all the others I've tried, I bet it is the BEST!
TARYTERRE said…
the meatballs look nice and chunky. yum. glad you got the star of approval from the blog tech.
Leighway said…
Just checking those amounts in the ingredients...5 eggs for 3 lbs meat? yes? 2 cups ritz? seems like those two might be for a larger amount of protein? Just checking before I make meatball soup....and I love every recipe of yours I've ever made!
jaz@octoberfarm said…
oops.....2 eggs and a cup of ritz for the smaller portion. if the eggs are small use 3.