Sunday Gravy aka Bolognese

I've invited a bunch of people over on Sunday for a big Italian dinner so I will be busy all week cooking for it.  The first thing I made was Sunday Gravy, also known as Bolognese sauce.  An old Italian lady taught me how to make this years ago.
Start by sauteing 1 large diced onion, 4 large cubed carrots and 5 stalks of celery diced in some olive oil or bacon grease until they soften.  Soak 1 cup of dry mushrooms in hot water until they soften and then mince them and strain the water.  Add them to the pot.  Add 1 pound of ground pork, 1 pound of ground beef and 1 pound of the sausage of your choice.  I used salt and pepper sausage.  Add 3 anchovies. and some diced pepperoni.  These little touches add tons of flavor.

 The key to this sauce is meat.  I added 1 browned and seasoned pork steak, 2 smoked pork chops and 6 smoked turkey necks.


Add 2 cups of a hearty red wine.

 Add 1 container of demi glace and 3 bay leaves.

 Add 4 large cans of crushed tomatoes.   San marco's are best. Add 1 large can of tomato paste.

 Add 1/3 cup of sugar, 1 tablespoon of salt and 1 tablespoon of pepper.  You might add more of these later depending on taste.

 Add 2 tablespoons of oregano.

 Add 2 tablespoons of granulated garlic and 2 tablespoons of onion powder.  Add some fresh herbs.  I used winter savory, thyme and rosemary.  Grate in 2 tsp. of nutmeg.

 Place this covered in a 250 degree oven for 4-5 hours.  Stir occasionally.

After it's cooked, let it cool a bit in the pot and then remove the stems from the herbs, ditch the smoked meats and shred the pork steak and add it back to the sauce.  Make sure you get all of the bones out of the sauce.  Taste it and adjust seasoning if needed.  It will be rich and thick and have a wonderful sheen to it.  On Sunday I will add a bit of butter and a cup of cream and then reheat it and add cooked sausages and braciole to the pot.  I'll show the meal as it comes together.

Comments

I have not made Bolognese in years. After looking at these pictures, I think it might be on my weekend menu soon.
Leanna said…
That is one rich sauce made with love. Joyce, you're the best chef/cook/baker hands down. What is your formal training? I have to know. Most of the things on your blog require some form of training in a formal cooking school.
Mmmmm, now THAT's good gravy!
jaz@octoberfarm said…
nope...no formal training. i just cook a lot and probably have read every cookbook on the face of the earth. you have to figure that cooking the way i have for at least 50 years, you finally have to get something right!
Guillaume said…
I love a good Bolognese!
TARYTERRE said…
this looks like fabulous bolognese sauce. YUM. YUM.
Diane said…
I am another one who has not made bolognese for years, thanks for the reminder it will be on the menu this week. Take care and have a good weekend Diane
linda said…
Looks delicious! You are an amazing cook. Still waiting for your cookbook to be published.