A Bad Buttercream Day

 I made another one of my meat and cheese platters for the first night's dinner with my guests.  I made a huge casserole of smoked gouda mac and cheese to serve just in case the kids didn't like the platter.  They loved everything and everyone was excited for mac and cheese. I reheated it and served it with last night's dinner too.  It seems that no one gets homemade mac and cheese enough. My kids pointed this out to me.

 I served homemade pretzels, salt and caraway sticks and onion/poppy seed sticks to go with everything.

 I set the table with my new 'still life' pumpkin plates.


 This is not the ugliest cake I've ever made but it definitely is the second ugliest one.  It was about a hundred degrees in my kitchen when I made this and my buttercream was not happy!  My daughter suggested that I should have frozen the layers before frosting them.  Why didn't I think of that?  Then she wondered why I didn't ask her to make it.  Now that was a really good idea!  Next time this task goes to her.
Everyone said it was delicious and no one minded at all that it was ugly. I told them that when you get a cake that looks like this, you can be sure it's homemade and not store bought!

Comments

Valerie said…
What a feast! I love looking at your spreads.
I feel stuffed just looking at the photos!
Javanut021 said…
YUM! Looks delicious!
chickpea678 said…
❤️❤️❤️ truly amazing ❤️❤️❤️
Anonymous said…
The plates are a work of art and the food looks amazing, the hot weather giving you icing troubles is certainly not your fault and I know for sure there were no complaints with this meal before them! Looks amazing, you better rest today,, you’ve been going hard for days, break time,,,!,,,,,
Linda said…
I am sure company did not judge your cake's looks. This spread has something for everyone and looks tasty.
Cassie said…
I love your meat and cheese platters, anytime I try to make one, I get confused and flustered with all the choices. Yours look beautiful every time!
Leanna said…
O love those plates! Meat and cheese platters are perfect for hot evenings. Perfect choice! So smart!
Yes, buttercream frosting is like ice cream, it melts in the summer. I stick to the cooler times of the year to make mine. I never thought of freezing the cake layers either. Your daughter is a genius.
Mary said…
I am not a meat eater but I would be fighting over all that lovely cheese and spreads. The cake looks yummy to me anyway.
Guillaume said…
That cake looks delicious.
TARYTERRE said…
buttercreme is delicious no matter what it looks like, your spread looks divine. my mouth is watering. bet your guests were delighted.
It all looks delicious and who cares about how a cake looks :-) :-)

Have a great day!

Christer.