English Toffee



I used to follow a North Country blog many years ago.  The guy had the best English Toffee recipe and I made it all the time.  I lost the blog as well as the recipe and have wanted to duplicate it for a long time.  This was my first attempt and it was very good but not as good as I remember the old recipe being.


1. First, melt the butter in a large saucepan on medium heat. Don’t burn it! Once the butter starts melting, attach the candy thermometer to side of the pan.

2. Once the butter melts, stir in the water, sugar, and light corn syrup. You’ll cook it until it reaches 300 degrees F, or the hard crack stage.
It will take about 15 minutes to reach 300 degrees. Just keep stirring. So before you start making this Toffee, make sure you have a good 20 minutes or so that you can dedicate to just this! 
3. Once the toffee mixture has reaches that temperature, you pour the super hot, sweet-smelling hot toffee mixture onto a sheet cake pan.

4. Then you sprinkle semi-sweet chocolate chips onto the toffee.  Let them sit for a few minutes.
Smooth the chocolate chips all over the toffee. Keep smoothing until the chocolate has melted and you have a nice, smooth layer on top.
5. Sprinkle chopped walnuts, or your favorite nuts, on top at this point.


 I did not know but my DIL loves toffee.

 She thought this was the best she ever had. She is now my official taste tester.

 It is best when you toast the nuts first.





I place mine in a cast iron pan and toast until they begin to brown.

I'm going to try some other recipes until I can re-create the one from the North Country.

Comments

Linda said…
I have never made toffee, but maybe I will.
Your daughter-in-law will be in heaven as you experiment!
Marsha said…
Wishing I could assist in the taste-testing.
They do look delicious!

Have a great day!

Christer.
BarbaraShowell said…
I dont know about the best, but here’s a link for one you can do in 6 minutes and it’s damn good!
http://jensfavoritecookies.com/2013/09/30/pretzel-toffee/
TARYTERRE said…
yum. yum. i love toffee.