Fall Colors Have Arrived


This is one of Willie's favorite spots.  Every time I run downstairs to get something, he plops at the top of the steps to wait for me. He goes back to the vet on Thursday. The neutering part of his surgery went well but he has managed to pull out his eye stitches.  There might be one holding and I am hoping it healed enough that he won't need repeat surgery.  It's driving me crazy keeping the W's from playing together.  It is an all day effort because they are ready to explode.  Puppies really want to play!

 The trees are finally changing and it seems that they change one day and drop all their leaves the next.  Such a strange Fall this year and it looks like winter will roll in next weekend.


 As you can see, a lot of foliage remains green.  I don't remember a Fall that held on to green this long.


 These maples were scarlet red and full on Halloween and here they are two days later.


 A carpet of leaves blankets the ground.


 The climbing hydrangea is beautiful.




 Both of these Japanese Maples usually turn a brilliant red but this year they went straight to orange.


 These are the plates I am using for Thanksgiving this year.  Click for a closer look.


 They are vintage Johnson Brothers 'Frozen Up'.  I have them in blue too so I alternate the colors as I go around the table.  I'll show pics once the table is finished.

And these will be the place setting favors this year.  I still have work to do on them and will show the finished results.  They are filled with something special. I hope to finish them today but first, my daughter is coming over early to learn how to make English muffins.  After all these years she is turning into a baker extraordinaire and wants to do everything from scratch.  In fact, I find myself asking her to make me cakes very often when I need one for someone. What is your first Thanksgiving preparation?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Everything looks beautiful! I really hope willie doesn’t have to have repeat surgery, poor pup. Gracie heard me telling her mum about the little baskets you are filling, she though they looked the perfect size for her toy Dino eggs she made from clay!
Your garden looks amazing as always! Over here the leafs have hanged on unusually long, there are still trees with yellow leafs even if it is November!

Have a great day!

Christer.
Valerie said…
Our sunset maple was glorious for a brief week, then all the leaves were blown off.

This year I will be in a new home, so my FIRST Thanksgiving preparation will be finding all my necessary cookware and knives! Then replenishing my supply of broth and basics.

Wishing you the best!
Mary said…
It has been a wonderful year for colors, my Japanese maple is almost a fiery red. Even my dogwood it bright red this year. Who's knows why, probably a scientist could explain. Love the dishes!
Guillaume said…
Gorgeous pictures. And it is autumn here too.
Leanna said…
David is putting on a second coat of paint in the kitchen so I can't finish my bread baking. I went to the Dollar Store today and picked up seven baskets for Thanksgiving. I'm going to fill them with the small rum bundt cakes, pumpkin bread, cookies, and a loaf of sourdough bread. I did want to make some cordial chocolate covered cherries but David said that what I have to put in the baskets is good enough. What I put in my baskets is love dammit! AHAHAHAAAHAHAAA!
Leanna said…
Oh crap! I forgot to tell you I love those plates. Where did you get them? They are perfect for your table. Oh, and the climbing hydrangea is breathtaking.
Rue said…
I'm glad your Halloween was lovely, even if damp, and I can feel the seasonal excitement shifting too. Usually it takes me until late in November or early December to decide that I'm ready to welcome winter, but we've been fortunate and had the first perfect autumn in years. I've squeezed so much joy into October that I wouldn't mind a bit of snow dusting the hills now.

But for you and yours I wish continued blushing of trees and fiery colours. And enjoy your Thanksgiving prep!
Leanne said…
Finally I think I've fixed leave a comment issue I've been having. Ive been following along but unable to comment.
Hope W heals quickly.
Your garden still looks pretty.
TARYTERRE said…
hope willies eye is healed enough so he doesn't need more surgery. sounds like you've got a good start on thanksgiving preperations.
Laura said…
I love that climbing hydrangea. I didn't even know there was such a thing. I'll have to look into it more. My first Thanksgiving preparation is to decide the menu. I make the list and then weedle it down quite a bit. We used to have around 10 or so to cook for, now it is just 4 of us and yet we still seem to have food for 10! lol

Hope Willie's eye gets better soon.
blessings
~*~

ps...hugs to the W's