Kipples





Nothing says Xmas to me like kipples.  These are the Xmas cookies of my childhood. Though I am not making cookies this year, since I have the big wedding cookie bake off looming in my future, I still had to make kipples.

 This is not the easiest recipe.  My daughter came to help and after making about 8 of them I think she was questioning whether they are worth the effort. Obviously, I think they are, I make them every year.




I really never see these anywhere else.  I see variations  made with cream cheese but these are actually made with a yeast dough. I still have the recipe written in my mother's handwriting. The recipe was written almost 60 years ago.




I told my daughter that when I was a little girl, I remember sitting at the kitchen table, cracking nuts and picking out the nut meat with my mother. My daughter looked at me and said....OMG, you didn't have a food processor back then did you?  Haha..no food processors even close to existing back then! knife skills came in handy back then.




This is my husband's favorite part.  He gets to eat the failures.  These opened during baking.

And look at my little sidekick.






 Willie had just come back from a walk and napped like this while I baked.



Comments

Does your husband hover in the kitchen like your dogs do, LOL?
Leanna said…
David loves when I bake because he also gets the failures that are edible. In answer to Debra's question about a hovering husband. In my house as a child I remember my dad and brothers were always close at hand in the kitchen just waiting to try the first batch of holiday cookies, brownies, blondies, mini pies, loaves of bread, and cakes, just to see if they were of the best baker quality. My mom caught on to my dad's little tricks when he would say it still needed something even though it was the best we could produce. So Deb, no matter what household, the men of the family are always in the kitchen as the willing taste testers.
Aww, poor little guy. He got sorely wasted from his walk. Just too tired to move. Y'all got any snow yet from this last front going through?
Guillaume said…
Looks delicious, as usual.
chickpea678 said…
Yum....eating the failures! This reminds me of when we got to eat the ends of kimbap rolls when we made for picnics.
TARYTERRE said…
eating the failures sounds like fun. yummy. willie looks adorable.