Thrift Shopping

 I have a bunch of projects planned for Spring and Summer. I want to make lots of things for next Xmas so I need to start soon.  I went to thrift stores looking for items I might use. I found a bunch of things I wasn't looking for which seems to happen often but then I guess that is the fun part of thrift shopping; you never know what you are going to find.  I found this yellow ware bowl for 1.59.

 I couldn't believe it. And it's a medium sized bowl at that.

 No chips or cracks either...amazing!  I am such a sucker for yellow ware and I have a large collection of it.  I NEVER see this stuff at thrift stores.

 I live in an area that used to have lots of glass factories so I can almost always find nice old glass pieces.  I went to three stores and in each one I found nice vintage candle holders. I made passed on the ones in the first two stores because I really don't need any.

 But when I found this pair of 'wave' candle sticks and they were half off, I snatched them up for 8.00.  They, too, are in perfect condition.  I think so much of this stuff has been sitting in china closets for years and never used.  I think these will be perfect for my Easter table.

 And look at these baskets!  Once again, they look like they've never been used.  They will be now!

 Three nesting baskets which can hold all sorts of things on my stone table outside this summer. 5.00! They will look great filled with baguettes and rolls.

 And I was thrilled to find a pair of these baskets.  I just bought one of these at a fair last summer for 45.00.

 This pair is really well made and has copper tacking.  From the stenciling on them, I am guessing they are from the early 50's. They were 4.99 each.

 And I added a couple brooches to my brooch basket.  Do you remember the brooch bouquets I made a few years ago just before the wedding?  Well, I have a new brooch project in the future and I need a lot of these pins for it.  Stay tuned and I'll show them to you when I make them.  I need to find A LOT of brooches before I start.  I think I bought them all up when I made the bouquets because I am having trouble finding them this time. I'm looking for Xmas ones, silver and gold ones and brooches with rhinestones.  If anyone has an old lot they want to get rid of, let me know!

I also found a brand new package of Wilton Xmas cookie cutters for my daughter.  24 cutters for 4.99.  It was a good thrifting day!

Comments

Mary said…
You have got to be kidding, $1.39 for that bowl!
Mary said…
Just reread story it was more that $1.39...was $1.59!
NanaDiana said…
You sure had a fantastic thrifting day! wOW. I have a bowl like that and it belonged to my grandmother. Can't believe the price you paid for it - to say nothing that you even found it. Great finds all the way around! xo Diana
Guillaume said…
You do plan a lot in advance. But that's a good idea.
Leanna said…
Those candlestick holders are simply the most beautiful ones I've ever seen. I am a crazy woman for baskets. I love decorating them with sunflowers from craft shops and displaying them above my kitchen cabinets.
Successful thrifting is all about being in the right place at the right time. My Rare One has a list of favourite thrift stores that she visits weekly. She calls it "working my trapline."
That yellow ware bowl was THE STEAL OF THE CENTURY! I've seen similar ones in antique shops for near $65. Well done. I'm a huge thrifter, never shop in Walmart or other Department stores ever, but I hit the thrift stores every week. Some trips I buy nothing and then other weeks I get a pair of insulated coveralls for hubby for $5. I resell on eBay what I can't use.
Christer. said…
Really nice glass candle sticks! and it is really hard to find old baskets in good condition so congrats to that!

Have a great day!

Christer.
LEfting said…
I have purchased lots Christmas brooches on Ebay, from China, 99 cents Canadian (about 69 cents US$) each with free shipping. They have a ton of them on there! They take a month or two to arrive but you've got lots of time before Christmas!
It is worth a look! (my search is "Christmas Rhinestone Brooch" and I specify "Buy it now" and "Free Shipping".) I got some very pretty Christmas tree brooches and snowflake brooches this year.
TARYTERRE said…
what wonderful finds you made.