Thrift Shopping

I did a bit if thrift shopping the other day and though I didn't find what I was looking for, I found some things I could use.  This large, heavy, white platter was 2.99.  It looks like it was never used, there isn't a mark on it.  I use platters like these a lot so I was very happy to find this.


This ladle was a great find too.  I use ladles a lot around the holidays so I can always use an extra one. This is a large one too, the kind used in a punch bowl.


 It was 1.89 and it's Rogers.  Not the best maker but for 1.89, a pretty good deal!

 It polished up nicely.


 It will be on next year's Thanksgiving table with ones that cost a lot more.  No one will ever know which one cost less than two bucks!





 I always need 9X13 pans.  This Anchor Hocking one was 1.99.  I roast chickens in them, make oven casseroles in them and make brownies and cookie bars in them just to mention a few ways they are used.  I buy a lot of cooking and baking pans at thrift shops.  A run through the dishwasher and they are good to go.

 Baskets!  Thrift stores are the best place to buy baskets.  I look for heavy duty, well made ones.  I particularly look for vintage baskets.  When I get them home, I spritz them with a mixture of Dawn and water and sit them outside in the rain or wash them out in the stationary tub and then put them outside to dry.  This is good to do at least once a year with any baskets you have.  Do it more often depending on how you use them.  It's not good to let baskets dry out for too long.  Especially if you have willow baskets.  They need to be soaked thoroughly more often.


 I use baskets in so many ways.  I often give food away in them and most often tell the recipient that I don't need them back.  All of these baskets I am showing cost around 2.00.  I wait until they have a 1/2 off sale to buy them.  They usually are around 4 or 5 dollars if you don't buy them on sale. I bought ten baskets on this trip. I serve bread in them and during summer, I put utensils and napkins in them when I entertain outside.

 A great bread basket for a buck.


 Some of these will be Easter baskets.

 I'm always hunting for brooches for next year's Xmas trees.  I lucked out and found a bunch on this trip. I bought about 10 silver ones to add to the silver brooch box.  Silver ones are the hardest to find.


 I also found about 15 gold brooches.  My gold brooch box is filling up and soon I will start making the gold Xmas tree.  All of these brooches were 3 for 1.99.  This is about the cheapest you ever find them.

 And a real blast from the past!  Who remembers these?  The original pastry decorating bag.  I grew up using one of these. I can't wait to give it to my daughter to see if she knows what to do with it.  Do you remember trying to lick the icing out of the tips or was that just me?  This cost 99 cents.

Comments

TARYTERRE said…
great finds one and all. you got some real bargains.
Leanna said…
You would never know that you bought all these at the thrift store.
I love my glass baking dishes. Many of the things in my kitchen are hand me downs from David's mom. I have things that I'll cherish just as she did. The thing is, I don't mind it at all because these things that I have would have ended up in someone else's home.
I like to cook and bake in glass too. Nice even heat. Yes, I remember those decorating tools -- never used one myself though -- not that fancy a decorator.
Guillaume said…
Really love the baskets.
Helen said…
My aunt always looked for cheap (10cents or less) vases at flea markets etc. She would use them when she gave people cut flowers from her garden and didn't worry if she got them back again or not. Smart idea.
Oneoldgoat1962 said…
that is a gorgeous quilt in the background!