Kurentovenja part 2



Continuing with the festival, this woman is the kids favorite.  She is the candy lady. (click on any pic to enlarge)

She passes out candy to everyone along the route.




 These people attend the local Slovenian school.


 And contrary to this sign, I saw no tanzing nor Spieling from this group.

 More candy throwers.


 This caterpillar snaked it's way down the street.

 At some point turning into these marvelous creatures.


 This is a very impressive festival but these women were over the top sensational.  I haven't edited my videos yet but I am hoping I captured them in all their glory to show to you.

 An observer approaches a Kurent.  I think he sees a photo op!

 He gets what he was looking for.


 Another candy throwing float.  Candy filled the street and the kids and The Blog Tech got their share.  Some Blog Techs never grow up.

 I loved these guys!  No costumes, no signs, they just wanted to be in the parade and were waving to everyone.

 Don't ask, I have no idea.


 This was one of the whip crackers.  Big whip, loud noise, very scary dude.


 That small red figure is the devil.  If he catches Winter, he drags him to Hell.  (Once again, can't he find Trump?)


 He carries a pitchfork to urge Winter on. 


 The Kurents wear these elaborate, colorful head dresses.


 The Kurents might be the only ones not freezing at this parade.


 The red thing is not a tie, it's the Kurent's tongue.





More big bells.  These things are LOUD.

I love to see that the neighborhood Slovenian children dress in costume and join in.
 The Kurent on the left danced with me.  This little boy leads the big Kurent animal on a leash.

 One of the candy ladies gives him a treat.


 He doesn't look like he got what he wanted.

The Festival King and Queen.  And, of course, Polka music!  It had my toes tapping.

Hopefully tomorrow I will have a video.

Comments

I hope the Blog Tech didn't fistfight any little kids for that candy.
Mary said…
The butterfly costumes are beautiful. I am binge watching watching Grimm (never ever saw before) this looks like the Wesens are having a parade. A bit scary too.
Leanna said…
This is so cool! It's nice to see festivals from, yes I'll say it, the old country. So many things have been lost over the years because we leave so much behind us. It's so sad that we forget the fun stuff in life.
Susan said…
I'd have to say that this festival should be a destination. There is something really scary about a guy in a blue apron with a whip. I'm not sure why... Those butterfly women are amazing! I can't wait to see the video. This is my favorite festival EVER.
jaz@octoberfarm said…
i thought the guy in the apron with the whip was the creepiest of them all. he's like my butcher gone bad.
TARYTERRE said…
the most interesting parade ever.
Suzie said…
I'm greatly surprised that you like them, since they chase away Winter! Hahahahah! I had no idea that there was a festival in the U.S., and think that it is wonderful that they are keeping those old world traditions, alive.I was first introduced to Kurens, several years ago, while doing a search for Krampus, to show a friend, who had never seen either. This video is mis-labeled. I hope that you can see it! https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Krampus+Parade+Metal+Drums&&view=detail&mid=B8C88C898D8CFB52A075B8C88C898D8CFB52A075&&FORM=VRDGAR
Guillaume said…
I loooove the costumes, especially the Kurents.