The Kurentovenja Festival



 The Blog Tech, his sister and I drove to the Korentovenja Festival yesterday morning. She had never been there and he and I couldn't wait to go back.  His wife took Ziggy to a dog show so we dropped The Blog Tech off there after the festival. WOW...is all I can say!  The festival is getting more and more popular each year and this year it was really special.  This is a Slovenian celebration where the Kurents chase away winter. I don't know if Winter was scared but some of these Kurents scared the bejeebers  out of me. BTW...notice The Blog Tech coming up from behind!

 These costumes are made in Slovenia, out of sheep pelts, and cost thousands of dollars.

 You might not be able to tell from these pics but they are quite realistic looking in person and huge.

This festival is the only one held in the United States.


 The Kurents are very interactive with the spectators.

 I got hugged by one.





I wonder if we could use these to scare Trump away?

 As the parade begins, the Kurents blow horns, rattle bells and snap whips and switches.  It is very noisy.

 Besides the elaborate pelts, the Kurents all wear these red knitted socks covered with little red pompoms.

 Those are some big bells!

 When we first started attending this festival, the Kurents were all dressed like this.  The elaborate costumes above are new.

 When we first attended this festival, it drew a small local crowd.  This year we could hardly move in the Slovenian Hall; it was that crowded.

 Local Slovenians in costume.


 Hello there you big adorable Kurent.  It's a Beauty and the Beast thing.  I love the Kurents.


 Waiting for the parade to start.

 Just hangin' with my fellow monsters.

 Chains...just in case he runs into Winter personally and needs to drag him away.




This dog was watching as if to say...these are my people.




The father on the left was having trouble tying his daughter's babushka before she got on the float.  He asked me if I knew how to tie one.  I answered that I have been waiting my entire life for someone to ask me that question.  Scottish on hold, Polish to the forefront!  I tied that red babushka and am proud to say it was still in place by the end of the parade.

 And look at these marvelous women!  I hate butterflies but I loved these.

 I have a video that I will post soon.  These were magnificent.

 They had a coordinated dance and the wings moved so gracefully.

Goodbye my furry friend until next year.


* I will post more of the parade tomorrow.

Comments

Please send one or two up here to Edmonton to drag OUR winter away! PLEASE!
Susan said…
Wow. Just wow.
Leanna said…
OMG, it's like watching the Krampus parade. This is so cool!
Marcia said…
Never ever heard of such a celebration. Costumes were amazing.
bobbie said…
I'm with you ~ could we please have them drag trump off and devour him?!?!
Amazing costumes!
Christer. said…
I wish there were traditions like that over here!

Have a great day!

Christer.
Leanne said…
I always enjoy your parade and festival posts. Not sure I'd wanna be hugged by one of them tho.
Guillaume said…
I love the Kurents... They look like Krampus! I wish I could see them. I can imagine why the costumes are so expensive.
Those costumes are fantastic and quite scary.