Ramp Festival #2


 On Sunday we went to our second ramp festival.  It's up in the mountains and down a one lane road.

 You don't want to go off the road because there is a huge drop off.  You would end up dead in a muddy stream surrounded by ramps.  Maybe that's not such a bad way to go!

 Such a beautiful area.

 The clouds are lower than the mountains.


 An old log cabin.

 There was a Sunday service...I passed.  The guy in the yellow coat bowed his head and stood through the 45 minutes. He has a lot more religion than I do.

 This is Trump country.  These are the people that think he is bringing back coal mining and steel production.  Most everyone wears camouflage clothing.  This guy was wearing an NRA hat.

 Lots of old timers were at the festival.
 The food pavilion.

The menu...click to enlarge.


Each table is set with a vase of ramps and some mints for after you eat.  As if they would help with ramp breath! 

 Appalachian soup beans.  I hate to say it but mine are a LOT better.  These had no taste at all.


 But this was great....ramp and potato chowder.  I will be making it soon.

 A ramp hot dog.  You have to be a brave person to eat this many raw ramps.  I was.

 Fried ramps that were the best I've ever had.

 Killed lettuce.  This is the actual name of this type of salad. You kill the lettuce when you add the dressing.

 A delectable fried ramp.  I rarely eat fried food but once a year, I make an exception for these. The entire ramp is fried from the bulb to the top of the leaves.

Ramp flavored potato chips.


And this is always a treat....salt rise bread.  It's great with ramp butter.  It's hard to find someone that still makes salt rise bread.  Salt rise bread is what the pioneers baked.


 There aren't many vendors at this festival but we did see our first Halloween things for sale.  You can see them inside the tent.




This wooden toy maker is here every year.  This year he added wooden swords and shields with dragons painted on them for Game of Throne fans.

I'll show you in a future post what I am making with ramps.

Comments

arcadia said…
After searching for more informations, I discovered it could be what we call here "ail des ours"... if so, I totally understand the multiple use of it, it's yummy. I never tried it fried tho, when those in my garden will be settled well (just planted those last month) I'm going to give it a try. We have all the forests full of it in the area, hurray !
Christer. said…
I wonder if anyone over here do that many things with our ramp relative, which we call rams :-) I've never heard anyone frying rams that way though.

I had to check what salt rise bread is and I've never heard of anything like it over here, don't think I'll try it myself though :-) :-)

Have a great day!

Christer.
Guillaume said…
You make me hungry.
Tech Cloud Ltd said…
Wow, the food looks so yummy and tasty. After seeing the food photo I cannot resist my tongue. Very well captured along with the editing work as it seems so sumptuous. Anyways, which camera did you use to capture it? I’m also working on a clipping path platform for the editing kind of stuff. Anyways very good sharing; please keep posting more. I’ll definitely visit your blog again. clipping path