Appalachian Sweet Bread

 Over ten years of blogging, I have posted a lot of recipes on this blog and I know I have recommended a lot of them to you.  It is rare that I try a recipe for the first time that knocks my socks off. This one did.  This is an Appalachian treat that greeted many children after a long walk home from school.  Some people serve it with their canned peaches and some eat it with butter.  It would be good with any fresh berries.  But, after having made this two days in a row, we all agree that it is best plain, just as you see it here.

 It certainly doesn't look like much of anything special does it?  I would pass this up in a heartbeat if I saw it being served somewhere.  I would be missing one of the best things I've ever made.

 The smell alone makes it worth baking.  It is a spongy, moist, vanilla-y, sweet, buttery wonder. And easy as hell to make!

The Recipe:

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
6 tablespoons butter, melted
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup white granulated sugar
2 eggs

Place this all in your mixer and whip until combined.  Meanwhile, place a well seasoned cast iron skillet (10") on a burner on low.  Melt 2 additional tablespoons of butter in the pan and make sure it coats the sides.   When the batter is ready, pour/scoop it into the pan and place the pan in your oven. Bake for about 45 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Let it sit in the pan for about 10 minutes before serving.  Wrap the extras in plastic wrap and freeze or keep in the fridge and reheat.  It tastes fresh baked for days after reheating. Take my word for this one.



It's perfect with a Kil't salad.  I will post the salad recipe soon.  Let me know if you make it!

Comments

Leanna said…
I have been looking for something like this that was so sweet and simple to make. Thank you for sharing the recipe, darlin.
Sometimes "simple" is the "best."
Christer. said…
I miss two ingredients otherwise I would have tried it now, nothing on tv, can't do anything in the garden since it's too cold so this would have been perfect to try. Must remember to buy them this week.

Have a great day!

Christer.
Anonymous said…
Damn! I had to go look in the mirror to make sure I wasn't a robot. Hard to get into your comments. I can't wait to try the recipe. Reminds me of a sweet bread I've eaten at the Greek Food Festival. Thanks for sharing.
Eileen in Fla.
chickpea678 said…
I think this is simple enough that I would even consider giving it a go 😝!
Cascade Quilts said…
YUM! Made it this morning and just ate a piece, delicious! I think it would be fun to change up the extract flavors too - maybe do an almond - or a combo of coconut/rum/almond.
Unknown said…
Tried this and reduced sugar. Husband is diabetic. Just put it in the oven. Will let you know!
Tech Cloud Ltd said…
Wow, very nice and delicious food tips you have shared. It seems like you're a cook freak person. I really like your passion and efforts. However, the photos you have shared are very mouthwatering. It is obvious that the photographer captured the photos perfectly. However, I’m working with different photo retouching services. Thanks for sharing. Keep going.photoretouching