Rhubarb and Asparagus Season

I decided this year that we are going to eat seasonally.  Ramp season is over but rhubarb season is in full swing.
 I bought some in Amish country on Friday.

I got some purple and green  asparagus too.  I have both growing in my lower garden but not enough for all of us.

 Yesterday morning I made strawberry rhubarb pies.


 I made individual ones because they hold up better than one large one.

 I was lucky enough to find South Carolina strawberries since ours are not ready yet.


I cut up 2 quarts of berries and 3 long stalks of rhubarb. I mix the fruit with about 1/2 cup of sugar and 3 tablespoons of flour.  I also add about 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and the zest of 1 lemon.  I  added 1 cup of rhubarb sauce which I had already made.



These are very rustic pies baked with a pate' brisee.


 My husband likes these with vanilla ice cream.

 I like mine very tart.


I made The Blog Tech and his wife breakfast this morning.  It was scrambled eggs topped with brown butter asparagus, smoked pesto and crumbled goat cheese.  They loved it.

Comments

Christer. said…
Those pies looks delicious!
I don't have any rhubarbs so I need to buy a couple and plant in my garden :-)

Have a great day!

Christer.
Gawd, I love rhubarb! My Rare One's rhubarb patch has just started growing again. We're probably about a month away from eating fresh rhubarb.
Guillaume said…
My grandmother and my mother used to make rhubarb jam and rhubarb pies. I love them, they remind me of my childhood.
TARYTERRE said…
save a piece. my husband is coming to visit you. strawberry rhubarb is his favorite pie.
Leanne said…
Oh eating to season is too fun. One pigs out when in season, gets sick of it and then craves it again just as it reappears the following season.

Both Brent and I think your breakfast sounds wonderful!!
chickpea678 said…
Yum! Who wouldn’t love that breakfast?!
Rain said…
The pies look SO good!! We're trying to eat in season too. I got some asparagus from the market, going to make a tart with asparagus and Fontina cheese tonight! Can't wait!!!
Tech Cloud Ltd said…
Wow, very nice and delicious food tips you have shared. It seems like you're a cook freak person. I really like your passion and efforts. However, the photos you have shared are very mouthwatering. It is obvious that the photographer took the photos perfectly. However, I’m working with a different photo retouching platform. Thanks for sharing. Keep going.photoretouching