Vegetable Loaf


 I was a vegetarian for over 15 years and I sometimes wonder why I ever crossed back to the other side. I made this vegetable "meat"loaf yesterday and when My Daughter tried it she said that she might never eat regular meatloaf again.  And that's saying something because my kids love my meatloaves.

I think this is also a wonderful Fall dish since it has lots of mushrooms in it.


 The Recipe:


Ingredients
  • 1-½ cup brown rice, cooked in advance
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 large yellow onion, chopped
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 celery ribs, chopped
  •  salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 10 ounces crimini mushrooms,chopped
  • 1 tablespoons fresh tarragon, chopped
  • 8 ounces fresh spinach
  • 3 ounces sun dried tomatoes, chopped
  • 3/4 Cup shredded mozarella
  • 1/3 Cup grated Parmesan 
  • 5 eggs, whisked
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable broth 
  • (optional... several dashes fish sauce, mushroom umami powder, seasoned salt)
Instructions
Preheat oven to 400F.  Cook rice according to package instructions. Set aside.


Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add onions and cook until translucent. Stir in garlic and celery and season with salt and pepper. Cook until vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes.

Add in mushrooms and tarragon and cook until mushrooms release their juices and the liquid evaporates, about 5 more minutes. Add in spinach and cook until wilted. Stir in sun dried tomatoes, then remove from heat and let cool slightly.




In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, mustard, and broth. Add in vegetable mixture and rice and stir to combine. Add cheeses and stir again.



Generously grease a loaf pan with olive oil. Pour in vegetable mixture and smooth to flat with a spatula. Bake for 40-45 minutes, until edges are nicely browned. I placed mine on a cookie sheet to catch overflow.


Let cool slightly, then run a knife along edges and flip onto platter.


This is a very flavorful recipe.

This is the umami seasoning I use from Trader Joe's.  I use this in everything, it awakens all of the other flavors especially when you use it with fish sauce.

Comments

Christer. said…
I've never tried anything like this but since I do love veghetarian dishes I'm pretty sure I will like this. I also dsicovered that I have lots of mushrooms in the freezer so why not try this?

Have a great day!

Christer.
Susan said…
Holey cow, J! (Pardon the pun) This is just what I have been looking for! My next houseguest is vegetarian and I am headed that way myself. I am going to make it this weekend!
Guillaume said…
It looks delicious.
Marsha said…
I'm making this now, and I cooked 1.5 cups of raw brown rice - but I now think you only want me to add 1.5 cups of cooked brown rice to the recipe - correct?
Rain said…
Oh this sounds really good, thanks for the recipe. As you know, Alex and I have pretty much gone vegetarian (except for some cold cuts and my fish) so I really do appreciate finding delicious new recipes! I actually don't mind not eating beef pork and chicken anymore. Though sometimes I crave a good chicken burger! Plus it's a good excuse to eat more cheese lol! ;)