Salt Rise Bread

 Meet the bane of my existence for the last year.....salt rise bread.  On my many trips into deep Appalachia, I stumbled across the only bakery left in the country that still makes salt rise bread.  I actually stopped there a few times before I bothered to buy a loaf.  As with almost everyone that has ever tasted this bread....once you try it, there's no going back.  I was determined to learn how to make it.

 I bought the book written by the women that were trying to keep this bread baking tradition alive.  Unlike most American recipes that were brought to our shores by immigrants, this bread was created in Appalachia by the pioneers.  This is an uniquely American food. And intimidating!

 Here's a bit of info for you.


 Before I get started on the bread, I will show you this thyme/honey butter I made to slather on salt rise toast.  Add 1/3 C. of your favorite honey to 1/2 C. of good softened butter.  Add 2 teaspoons of fresh minced thyme and a sprinkling of flaked sea salt. 


Stir this together thoroughly.


 Place it in your favorite butter crock and refrigerate until ready to use.  Remove it from the fridge before serving to slightly soften.


 Okay, back to the bread!  This is the trickiest bread to make.  You are basically creating your own yeast to make bread  rise.  I read so much about salt rising bread that it began to really intimidate me.  The bakery I mentioned above has 7 failures each year when making this bread.  Gulp!  The success of the rise depends in so many variables.  Keeping the starter (or raisin') at the proper temperature being the most important.  As you can see in the above pic, mine was a glorious success.  Everyone has their own secret starter (raisin') recipe.  I used warm water mixed with baking soda and cornmeal and thin slices of baking potatoes.  It takes about 12 hour for it to work and then you have a short period of time in which to make the bread and get the needed rise.

 A first hand story.


 Since this was my first attempt, I wasn't sure about a lot of things.  What was the dough supposed to look like?  This recipe gave me a dough that was like a very thick batter.  It had a few flaws but I was so excited to see how it turned out, I pushed ahead.


 The loaves smelled exactly like they should....stinky socks!  In Appalachia, kids call this bread "stinky socks bread".  The smell comes from the starter.  Children say that they can smell their mother baking this bread when they are walking home from school.  As with many foods, once you taste this bread, the pungent aroma becomes enticing.  Think of sauerkraut or kimchi!


 I think it smells like cheese.


 This bread keeps very well too.  Some people leave it on their kitchen counter for up to two weeks.  I don't know how it would ever last that long.


 It really got Willie's attention.  He loved the smell.  He got a little taste and he agrees...this is the best bread ever.

Fresh out of the oven, I think it would make killer sandwiches.  But I think the best use for this is toast.  It is a rather dense bread compared to other white breads.



More bread info.

I was thrilled with my first attempt and will be making and refining my recipe as I go.  I am so happy to be able to carry on this tradition.

I bought some of this bread at the bakery before my Memorial Day party at the beginning of summer.  No one at the party had ever heard of it or tried it.  I served it simply sliced, piled on plates with butter on the side; a rather unusual party food.  At the end of the party, people were leaving carrying handfuls of the bread so they could have it for toast in the morning.  Once you try it, there's no going back!

Oh, and did I mention how good the toast is?  Haha...the best toast ever!

Comments

Christer. said…
I checked the internet last time You wrote about these breads and I came to the conclusion that I will fail if I try it :-) :-)

You really got nice loafs though so it does feel tempting to try it anyway :-)

The best cheese smellthe worst so I guess it's teh same with this bread :-)

Have a great day!

Christer.
Rain said…
Wow...your toast looks so good, I LOVE butter on toast! That bread does look intimidating though!
Anonymous said…
My Dad used to make salt rising bread. It always reminded me of parmesan cheese. It does make the best toast! I got an instant pot because it has the low temp yogurt mode. Still intimidated about the recipe. Thanks for the reminder, Marilyn
Tech Cloud Ltd said…
Thanks for sharing such mouth-watering bread recipes. I like to capture and edit delicious food images as I’m working on an eCommerce image editing platform for editing kinds of stuff. Anyways very good sharing; please keep sharing more. I’ll definitely visit your blog again. eCommerce-image-editing-services
Unknown said…
Few of the great works of ancient Greek literature are easy reading. They nearly all need study and comment, and at times help from a good teacher, before they yield up their secret. And the Poetics cannot be accounted an exception. For one thing the treatise is fragmentary. It originally consisted of two books, one dealing with Tragedy and Epic, the other with Comedy and other subjects. We possess only the first. For another, even the book we have seems to be unrevised and unfinished. The style, though luminous, vivid, and in its broader division systematic, is not that of a book intended for publication.

Aristotle, "The Poetics", p.2
David Miler said…
So much thanks for the wonderful article. All you discussed here is very important.

Best Regards,

best neurologist in dhaka