Thanksgiving





It's over!  There were a few mishaps.  I forgot to make the pierogies until the last minute and then frantically boiled 200 of them.  That was slightly chaotic but they made it to the table just in time.

 The preparations pooped the pups right out.  Winnie napped by the fire.

 We made exactly the right amount of desserts.  Had we made more, there would have been no room.

 Pumpkin pie, rosemary shortbread, Canadian butter tarts, gingerbread and walnut bars.



 Pumpkin and pecan pies, cranberry orange cake and a walnut bundt cake with maple frosting and candied walnuts.


 It was a perfect Fall day and we had a fire in the outdoor fireplace.

 I was going for magical and I think I achieved it.

 Three people did not show up so I had exactly enough seats. 25 guests.

 I worked on the centerpieces for 10 months.

 I went to every thrift shop I could find and bought vintage metal candle holders. (Click for a closer look)

 I painted them and covered them in moss, dried grasses, twigs, mushrooms and all things woodsy.

 There were about 20 pieces to the entire centerpiece.

 Each candle holder held a miniature dessert.  My daughter made cupcakes and I made mini cakes and cookies. The centerpiece held 42 desserts.

 Some of the candle holders had dragonflies, bees and butterflies on them.


 There were a few birds sitting in their nests.

 The table, itself, is about 22 feet long.

No one remembered to take pics of the food. We had 3 turkeys (one smoked by The Chef), 15 smoked turkey legs, a ham, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, sweet potatoes, creamed corn, collards and braised celery, made by The Chef.  My daughter's boyfriend is the head chef at the most popular restaurant in our city.  Guests walked in and asked, which food did The Chef make?  Then they made a beeline to his food and it was gone in minutes.  A humbling experience for this little old cook!


 People had fun with the Ouija board during cocktail time.

 The radiator covers were used as dessert buffets.

 Here are some of the cakes and cupcakes sitting on the candle holders.

 Guests really enjoyed the jukebox.

 And so another Thanksgiving is behind me.


 Everyone voted for me to have a comfort food New Year's Day party so after I get my Xmas decorations up, I will begin planning it.

 And I have to come up with an idea for next year's Thanksgiving centerpiece.  What will it be?  I have a few ideas!


 And I have to figure out what to do with this years.

 My daughter suggestd donating them back to the thrift shops from where they came.


 BTW, guest left with take home containers piled high.


 This year, I added a Polish Thanksgiving table which held sauerkraut, kielbasa, homemade pierogies and halushki.  People were both surprised and thrilled when they saw it. There were 6 Poles, 2 Croations, a Slovak and a lot of Polish food lovers at this dinner.


Many of the guests ate the Polish food first.  I also made 12 loaves of salt rise bread and jars of canned cranberry sauce and apple butter for everyone to take home.  I had many texts yesterday from people saying that they were eating halushki and pierogies for breakfast!  It was a fun time!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Looks beyond fabulous and delicious. Please adopt me.
Leanna said…
Darlin, you truly put on the feast. This is worthy of magazine material. I would feel so highly honored to be a guest just once. I have never seen anything so magical and wonderous at the same time except in a Harry Potter movie. Bringing the touch of nature to the table is really amazing that only a true Kitchen Witch would do.
Simply beautiful.
Christer. said…
Looks so beautiful and those desserts must have been delicious!

I know photos can lie but I honestly think that my entire cottage can fit in that room :-) :-) :-)

Have a great day!

Christer.
Holy moly, you put on a fabulous feast! All that decorating, cooking, baking and display -- just fantastic! And to top it all off -- so many wonderful desserts! I hope the Canadian butter tarts were popular!
Wow, that's a lot of planning and executing! Your table is astounding. You really treated your guests well. Time to put your feet up! -Jenn
Mary said…
Wow, everything looks spectacular. Maybe you should have gifted centerpiece to guests, along with the dessert. You are an amazing hostess!
I am totally amazed by all the work you put into this feast. That is inspiring.
Guillaume said…
Belated happy Thanksgiving.
Bee Haven Bev said…
Joyce, this looks fabulous!!! Absolutely breathtaking spread you put on. I hope everyone appreciated the amount of work you put into this feast!! Happy Thanksgiving. Now, take a rest....you deserve it!!
Marcia said…
Are you sure you're not in the catering business? A party planner by training? What an incredible amount of planning went into this feast. Do folks in your town try to wrangle invites to your feasts or are they all relatives already?
That is overwhelming in a wonderful way.
TARYTERRE said…
wow. all i can say is wow. what a beautiful spread. looks wonderful. you thought of everything.
Leanne said…
Oh Joyce it all looks absolutely wonderful!!
Teacats said…
A Deep Magic indeed! A Great Feast and the Deepest Magic of Hospitality! Wonderful, artistic centerpieces! Blessings on your Gracious Hearth and Home!

Cheers! to All!
Jan at Rosemary Cottage
Sharon from Georgia said…
You really need a TV show. You are better then Martha Stewart. You are amazing.
Rain said…
Oh Joyce! What a beautiful table, and a beautiful centerpiece!!! I blew up all of the photos to get a better look! The little mushrooms and the dragonflies...DEFINITELY magical! Great job, I love how everything fit together with the desserts on the centerpiece!!! You worked so hard on that and it shows! Bravo!!! :) Your pies look SO delicious!!!

Love the Ouija! Thanks for all of the photos!