Marinara

 Sometimes, the best food is the simplest.  That's the case with this dish.  An uncomplicated sauce with incredible flavor.

 This recipe gave me enough to give a quart to my daughter, freeze a couple quarts and enough to serve with 1# of pasta.  Start by emptying 4, 28 oz. cans of San Marzano crushed tomatoes into a pot with 8 T. of butter.  Add 2 onions, cut in half.  Add 6 cloves of garlic, cut in half.

 Add a few Parmesan rinds (optional but they add great flavor) and 1/3 C. of tomato paste.  I make my own tomato paste and fry it in a pan along with some anchovies and herbs and then freeze it.  That is what I added here. It also adds lots of flavor.

 I pulverize dried oregano, thyme and basil and add it with some Urfa pepper flakes.

 Bring it to a slow boil and then simmer it for a couple hours.  I placed it in my oven set on 275 degrees and braised it for 2 hours.  Take it out of the oven and remove all of the solids.  You can just discard them but I reserved mine to turn into something else.  I'll probably make a base for some eggs.


 The end result, a fabulously tasty marinara.

 Serve it with your favorite pasta. I used fusilli col buco, (fusilli with a hole).  Originally made by wrapping a bucatino around a knitting needle by Neapolitan housewives, these twice-as-long curly fusilli are very popular due to their hollow bite.

 Yum!

I served it with some shaved Parmesan and fresh basil.

Comments

ryverwynd said…
Sounds delicious...what are your measurements on the oregano, basil, and thyme?
jaz@octoberfarm said…
it depends on how much you are making but i would say less that a tsp. of each. i really don't measure but rather do it to taste.
Susan said…
I've always cooked my marinara on the top of the stove - I bet it is way better being 'roasted' slowly. It looks delicious!
Rain said…
That looks so delicious! I'm totally into the simple meals these days! I've actually made that pasta before, using a skewer to twist it all up, I think next time I make it, I'll use a knitting needle!!