Marshmallows



We ate at a restaurant recently and as usual, my husband ordered dessert.  I am not a dessert fan and never eat it.  However, I've always liked toasted marshmallows and when I saw how his dessert was served, I knew I had to replicate it for Sunday's dinner.  His dessert was a S'mores ice cream sandwich.  I also hate things made with graham crackers but this sandwich was made with graham cracker cookies, something new to me. It consists of French vanilla ice cream sandwiched between 2 graham cracker cookies, drizzled with chocolate and served with toasted marshmallows.  I haven't quite figured the entire thing out yet but I made the marshmallows yesterday and today I will recreate the cookies.

 You can find my step by step marshmallow recipe here:  https://octoberfarm.blogspot.com/2009/10/homemade-marshmallows.html

It's very important to spray your pan and your parchment paper with cooking spray.  This stuff is, needless to say, very sticky.



 
 It basically consists of gelatin and boiled sugar.

 And a lot of beating.

 I love to watch how it thickens as air is beaten into the mixture.

 People who don't like marshmallows change their minds when they try these. Kids love them too.  My niece and nephew are always very excited when I sent them some of these.


 Cutting and rolling them in confectioners sugar is fun but messy.  Wills licked up the sugar that hit the floor.

 They last quite a while when packed in an air tight container.

I'll show pics of the finished dessert.  At least I hope I will.  There is always the possibility  I will forget.


All of the sugar clean up really took it out of the little boy.


Comments

Oh dear, is he in a sugar coma?
Mary said…
People, you have not lived until you have tasted homemade marshmallows. Delicious, nothing like those "things "in a bag.
Susan said…
So true! Once I had tasted a 'real' marshmallow, I never looked back.
Leanna said…
Poor dear. He's dreaming of sugar plums and marshmallows. That does look tasty.
Guillaume said…
I love marshmallows. Not so much for the taste as for the memories.
TARYTERRE said…
being a diabetic i was wondering if he had a sugar coma too. just exhausted from watching and helping you. looks like a yummy dessert.
Rain said…
Awww Willie... :) They look pretty easy to make! I'm sure they're better than store bought!