My Daube Dinner

 The dinner party was lots of fun!  My guests went home with lots of leftovers.  They were thrilled to see their round loaves of bread and I made extra baguettes for them to have with their leftover daube.





I also whipped up a few loaves of pumpkin bread so they would have something for breakfast.


 I set my table with my Wedgewood Drabware.

 I love drabware because it works with everything.

 I used my rare and very collectable Wedgewood Fallow Deer bread plates.

 I made crocks of garlic butter for the French bread.

 Desserts were set up on my sideboard.

 Some of the flower arrangements were placed on the mantel.




 I made stuffed celery for appetizers. I rarely see stuffed celery served anymore and everyone was delighted to see it.  It's such an old fashioned appetizer but so very good. This was stuffed with cream cheese mixed with cheddar, bacon, diced dill pickles, onion and garlic powder and fresh dill.

 I also poached some shrimp and served them with homemade cocktail sauce and a sour cream and horseradish sauce.  The platter on the right in the rear held shaved salted radishes which were topped with grated cured egg yolk.  I cured the egg yolk by burying it in a salt/sugar mix for 4 days, then dried it in the oven.  It's my new favorite garnish and I stole the recipe from The Chef.

Appetizers were served with some bubbly.

 This  pic of the daube is from years ago because, as usual, I forgot to take pics last night. I served a salad with shaved fennel, red onion and shaved Fontina with a lemon/honey vinaigrette.




I served the daube with small ramekins of mac and cheese on the side.  People are always pleasantly surprised to see mac and cheese and there is never a bite left.


 My daughter baked a decadent German chocolate cake which made everyone very happy too.


My friend loves my chewy maple cookies so I made some of them for her as well as some chocolate chips squares.

It was a fun evening and the pups were thrilled to have guests.

After writing this i found these pics that my daughter sent to me.  Ejoy:










Comments

Bee Haven Bev said…
A magnificent array of food... and of course I would expect nothing less!! Your guests are always so lucky to have yummy leftovers to take home with them!! Your table setting looked lovely as well. I do believe that you are the consummate hostess, Joyce!!
Everything looks SO GOOD! And my gawd, how many layers did your daughter's German chocolate cake have? It's so TALL!
Leanna said…
Awesome table. Everything looks so wonderful. The take-home food is awesome too. You always serve such delectable dinners.
Guillaume said…
You make me hungry. I try to moderate myself after Christmas and then again I wish I could be the cook you are an feed an army with delicious food. By the way, I did not know what was daube until I read your blog.
I do not know of anyone who bakes and cooks for people to take the food home like you do. I need to find friends like you.
TARYTERRE said…
my word, what a marvelous dinner party you had. that food looks delicious. you are a gracious host treating your guests to leftovers to take home. just wonderful.
The Favorite Things Guy said…
This is gorgeous! Please set a table for me next time. :)
Rain said…
I'M TOTALLY DROOLING!!! My gosh...from bubbly to mac and cheese, I love it!! Your daughter's cake is a masterpiece! I really adore your table setting too!