Fish Sandwiches


It's fried fish sandwich season.


I'm not catholic anymore (thank god,  notice the irony here) but I sure live in a catholic area.


Every church, fire hall, school basement  and every single restaurant and corner store is selling fish sandwiches.  And guess what?  Every one of them claims to be voted # 1 in the city.



 Fish sandwich Friday is actually the local social event in every neighborhood. For a modest fee, you can sup on a giant fish sandwich, coleslaw, halushki, pierogies and chips; all washed down with a local brewski while you catch up with the neighborhood gossip. A rite of spring.


 You can pick your condiments....ketchup, tartar sauce, hot sauce, malt vinegar or maybe all of them.


The goal seems to be how much fish you can fit on a bun.


 Some don't even fit on the bun.


 Some restaurant go gourmet.



One thing they all have in common, besides the obvious fish and the bun, is that they are huge!!!

About half of the people order their sandwich with American cheese. My favorite way is with tartar sauce and sauerkraut.  A fish Reuben if you will.  Fortunately I live in an area where there is an endless supply of sauerkraut and no one even blinks when I order mine this way.


GO FISH!








Comments

Mary said…
Thank God I am not catholic either ( never was) but my favorite is the fish sandwich from McDonalds. Simply elegant in its simplicity! Why don't they get bigger buns? hahaha
I can't say that I eat a lot of fish sandwiches but I do like fried mackerel and cheese or the old Swedish classic fried herring with some mashed potatoes on as well :-)

Have a great day!

Christer.
I cannot imagine eating deep-fried fish with anything other than tartar sauce! Or maybe a squeeze of lemon. And vinegar is for the chips, not the fish! I was raised in a too British-influenced environment, I'm afraid.
Guillaume said…
I love a good fish sandwich. And fish and chips. I am no longer a Catholic either, but always loved Fish Friday and can easily do Lent.
Helen said…
We're not Catholic, but my husband ordered fish last night, lol. Must be something in the air.
Never Catholic. I rarely eat any kind of fish. I best like fish caught and then cooked at home.
Marcia LaRue said…
I'm not Catholic either, but you don't have to be to go enjoy the fish fry suppers at the local St. Michael's church during Lent. I look forward to this yearly event!
Two pieces of cod,lightly breaded; cole slaw, French fries or potato salad, green beans, and slice of French bread, dessert, and a drink for $10.
A friend and I go every other Friday for the meal simply because it is so good!
Rain said…
Former Catholic in recovery here lol...I LOVE fish sandwiches! I'm going to make myself one this week!!