Quarantine Day #43, Back to the Country


 For the first time in 42 days I went back to the country yesterday. 


 The first obvious difference, since the last time I made this drive, was that there was little traffic getting out of the city and gas is almost free.  Both very strange experiences.




 I was happy to drive past some of my favorite homes and see everything greening up.

 It felt rather strange to be out in the open after being quarantined for so long.


 It was overcast with a few sprinkles which made everything look very lush.


 I was on a quest for eggs and butter and called ahead to make sure I could get curbside service.

 The Amish and Mennonites were only too happy to oblige.


 I arrived a bit early and the Amish women were still washing my eggs.  It doesn't get much fresher than that.


 I got 12 dozen eggs and they charged me 75 cents and a dollar per dozen. The jumbo eggs, which are the size of duck eggs, were 2.00 per dozen.

 All of the animals were out in the fields.  These horses were kicking up a storm. 


 They were so happy to be out in the pastures again.

 It felt so good to leave some worry behind me for a short time.


 The Mennonites remind you who is in charge.


 But even the Mennonite schools are closed.


 The only thing missing was my daughter.  I haven't seen either of my kids in about 45 days.

 The W's haven't either and they seem confused. No one pets them on walks anymore either.  Winnie seems particularly affected by this.


 My favorite pumpkin patch is planted with onions.  I guess it's crop rotation.

 I was able to pick up most of what I needed plus I scored 2 gallons of bleach which I have not been able to find anywhere. And, the best is, the Amish and Mennonites aren't jacking up prices.  I paid 2.25 for each gallon. 

 It's sad to see all of these little shops empty.  I wonder what kind of losses these people will suffer.


 The fields are still brown but soon will be a wave of green. I hope my daughter and I will be able to return soon.

 On the way home the skies were glorious.  And now I am back home and back to being quarantined.  At least I have the ingredients to do lots of cooking.



Comments

I bet that drive will do you good. And yay, butter and eggs -- let the baking begin!
Leanne said…
FREEDOM!!! bet you enjoyed your day out. I'm hanging out for a drive about. James called passed yesterday was soo wonderful to SEE him even if it was from his truck and across our gate keeping. Worst past of it all isn't it not seeing our kids
Guillaume said…
Wow! These are bargain prices. I am not fan of religious people, but kudos for the Amish and Mennonites to be such honest traders.
Gwen Buchanan said…
Oh I so feel everything you write about... This is all becoming too much to take... i am very saddened by it all. Take Care
chickpea678 said…
Farm eggs like that cost $6 a dozen where we are! Sometimes more!

I read an interesting article about how the Amish in OH are shifting their businesses and helping fill the large orders for medical gowns, masks and face shields needed by the Cleveland Clinic. Reading about their strong community sense, hard work and ethics was really good for my heart.
Tech Cloud Ltd said…
Wow, such nice countryside captured. The images look very vivid and live. Very sharp captured I must say. Surroundings are also very suitable with these photos. Good work. Please keep going.
photo-cutout-service
Nancy McKinney said…
"Quarantine Day #43, Back to the Country" is likely a reference to the 43rd day of a quarantine period, during which someone has relocated to a rural area. Quarantine is a measure taken to contain the spread of a disease, and during this time, individuals are often required to stay at home and avoid contact with others. Moving to a rural area during quarantine may have provided the individual with a change of scenery, and a chance to enjoy the peaceful and serene environment of the countryside. The phrase may be the title of a journal entry, blog post, or social media update, documenting the individual's experience during quarantine and their move to the country.

Visit Here: photo cutout service