Quarantine Day #96 Tomato Jam





Tomato jam is a first for me but I will be making this all summer.

 The recipe:

2 pounds plum tomato cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1-1/4 C. sugar
3/4 C. red wine vinegar
1/4 C. fish sauce
6 garlic cloves minced
1 large jalapeno diced, with or without seeds depending on how spicy you want this.
1 T. grated fresh ginger
2 star anise pods
 Combine all of the ingredients in a heavy pot.


 Stir together and bring to a boil.

 Reduce heat to medium-high and let it cook stirring often until the mixture begins to thicken and darken, about 25-30 minutes.
 Discard the star anise and mash or blend to an even consistency.

 Continue to simmer until a wooden spoon leaves a trail when dragged through the bottom.  This will take another 10-15 minutes.

This would be so good on biscuit, eggs or cheese.  I think it will go well with all sorts of things.
Can it or store it in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.

Comments

chickpea678 said…
Yum! I’ve never even heard of such a thing!! Are your tomatoes ripening already??
It would enhance any savoury dish!
DVArtist said…
This reminds me of a canned product called "Rotel" that I use in soooo many recipes. Sure be nice to make my own. I would love for you to do a canning post. Pllleeeesse :)
Guillaume said…
It must be a great base for many pasta sauces.
1st Man said…
Hmm, would this be more like a ketchup (it would take a lot to beat my Heinz, ha) or would it be more like a spread? It looks delicious!!!
Rain said…
That really looks good, I'm definitely going to try it!! :)
Tech Cloud Ltd said…
Thanks for sharing such a mouth-watering Tomato Jam recipe. I like to capture and edit delicious food images as I’m working on an image post-production platform for editing kinds of stuff. Anyways very good sharing; please keep sharing more. I’ll definitely visit your blog again.image post-production