Tian Season

Yep, it's that time of the year, tian season.  My friends always look forward to the first tomatoes and eggplants showing up in the Amish markets because they know I will be making tians for them.  Yesterday was the first of the season and I made 5 big ones.
I prepped the onions, garlic and peppers the day before which helps when assembling them the next day.  I used candy onions, green and red peppers and a head of garlic.  I add salt and pepper, urfa pepper flakes and some mushroom powder which adds a wonderful umami flavor.  I also picked a bunch of fresh herbs and diced them and added them too. Towards the end of cooking this mixture, I add a bit of my homemade pesto and my tomato paste.  Just a few tablespoons of each.  This mixture should be very flavorful.

 I cook it just until the veggies begin to soften.  It will continue to cook while the tians bake.

 Beautiful eggplants...I used 6 of them to make 5 tians.


 The first of my tomatoes and I am having trouble keeping up with them!


 Tians are all about prep work.  I like to have everything prepared and lined up before assembly.


 Tomatoes sliced and salted and draining on paper towels.


  Eggplant and zucchini sliced.


 I coat the pans with some good olive oil to keep things from sticking.

 Place eggplant slices down first and cover them with cheese.  I used provolone for this layer.


 I missed a pick but next, I put down a zucchini layer and then covered them with mozzarella. Then I added a layer of the pepper and onion mix.  More cheese, a layer of tomatoes and so on and so on until you run out of ingredients.

 I topped these with grated Swiss and Farmer's cheese and sprinkled them with Parmesan.  Add some halved cherry tomatoes and some kalamata olives and sprinkle with Italian seasoning.


 Bake these for about 1-1/2 hours until the cheese is golden and they are bubbling around the edges.

 I like to let them sit for at least a half hour before serving.  They hold together much better if you wait to slice them. The smell is wonderful.  My husband said there is nothing better than the smell of tians baking.

 I could only fit 4 in the pic.

 The Chef gifted me with 20 # of potatoes and 10# of carrots the other day.

 Since I was giving everyone tians, I thought I would make them carrot coins too.


And a lot of creamy dill potato salad.

Comments

Mary said…
I think I speak for everyone who reads your blog...I want to be your friend. Wonderful food, my tomatoes are so slow as always. Eggplants have begun i am growing long green ones. Burpee was so out of stock back in April. Will see how they turn out
Those tians are works of art!
I have everything but the cheese and egglant. I would not use the eggplant, anyway, so i may get cheese when we are out. I am salivating.
Guillaume said…
That looks like a feast. I love cheese, aubergines and olives.
TARYTERRE said…
that looks so darn delicious, i'm going to come over and invite myself to dinner. yum. yum.
Rain said…
Yum! Those tians always look so good...I have yet to try to make them, I think Alex would really like them. I'm so jealous of your tomatoes!!! They look so good!