A Sandwich from Malta

My latest food obsession is all things Maltese.  I have been incessantly reading about it but haven't quite dived into cooking it yet.  Except for this sandwich which I had to make as soon as I saw it. Meet the Ftira. A true ftira is made with a special Maltese bread whose liquid comes from making a fermented raisin starter.  I'm still reading about it and as soon as the weather cools down a bit I will start experimenting with it. People say they become addicted to it after one bite.





Maltese Ftira Sandwich with Tomato, Capers, Olives and Mint
For 2 Ftiras Sandwiches you need:

Ftira, 2 quarters or 2 sourdough buns
big tomatoes, chopped, 2
capers, rinsed and dried, 1-2 teaspoons
small red onion, chopped, 1-2 teaspoons
black olives, chopped, 6
big basil leaves 6
small mint leaves 6
olive oil 4-8 tablespoons
salt and pepper
Sprinkle each slice of the Ftira or bun with 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil and put the tomatoes, capers, onion, olives and herbs on top. Season with salt and pepper to taste and close the sandwich.

 I strayed a bit from the recipe as I usually do.  I added some pickled cucumbers which I had just made.  I did follow the amount recommended for the capers and olives but in the future, I would use a lot more.

 I also used some asiago focaccia which I would not do again.  The asiago was a distraction.

 I also think that it could use a couple splashes of red or balsamic vinegar which it did not call for.

 I do love the combination of fresh herbs and I added fresh thyme and savory.

 I minced them all together to distribute them better and stirred them into the tomatoes.

 Use the very best olive oil for this sandwich.  It should have a fresh olive oil flavor.  My favorite right now is Olive Oil Jones.  The fresh mozzarella was my addition too and I was not that pleased with it.  I definitely sliced it too thick and it lacked the correct flavor.

 I added a schmear of my latest paprika/rosemary butter which was a good touch.


 After coating the bread with the olive oil and butter, you mound the tomato/herb mixture on it.  Spoon the juices over it, this is why you need a spongy bread that can hold up to it and not become soggy.

 Place the top on the ftira and dig in.

 Perhaps when I master the bread recipe mine will look more authentic. 

Comments

It does look yummy :-)
It has finally started to cool down here and we've even had thunder and some rain.

Have a great dya!

Christer.
I think the original recipe looks yummy.
Guillaume said…
After the Maltese Falcon, the Maltese sandwich? No, but seriously, this looks very much like the cousin of the bruschetta. I love making bruschette and my little family loves them for lunch. Wolfie has them with olives as a little variation. I might try to make this sandwich, this looks right up my alley.
Rain said…
That looks good Joyce! Too bad about the fresh Mozza...that's where my eye wandered to! :)