Chow Chow Relish

For Labor Day this year, I will be making Porch Party deliveries to all of my friends.  No one is going anywhere with the virus numbers on the rise once more. I've already started to plan the menu. I wanted to make something totally different than I did for Memorial Day and The 4th of July.  I made the mistake of asking The Blog Tech if he has any requests and he said....SLIDERS!  Jeeze! I made them for both of the other Porch Parties. So, along with sliders I will make different sides and hotdogs with homemade buns.  For a little twist, I thought I would make everyone a jar of chow chow to go on their hotdogs.  This stuff is seriously good.
I used a large green cabbage and cut it into small pieces.  Then I added 2 red bell peppers and 3 green tomatoes.  Add 1/3 cup of salt, toss to coat everything then cover and let it sit for 24 hours.  Place it in a colander and rinse it and then drain and put it in a big heavy pot.

 Add 2-1/2 cups of white vinegar and 1-1/2 cup of sugar.

 In a pan, toast 2 teaspoons of celery seed, 2 teaspoons fennel seeds, 2 teaspoons mustard seeds and 2 teaspoons turmeric.  Toast this until the seeds start to pop and then add it to the cabbage.

 Bring this to a boil and then simmer it for about an hour. You want it to still be a bit crunchy.

 When I want to can small batches like this, I use a short cut method of canning.  I clean the jars and then fill them with boiling water.  Just before filling them with the hot chow chow, you dump the water out, fill them, wipe the rims and then place the lids on them.  They seal within 20 minutes.

I'll have to make this a couple more times until I have enough for everyone.

A little Scottish wisdom!

Comments

Mmmm, that chow-chow looks good!
dellgirl said…
Hi, I came over from Mike's blog. Your title drew me in here. That Chow Chow looks delicious, we call it Cha-Cha over here in my little corner of Texas. My mama used to make it all the time, I love it. Thanks for sharing this.

Wishing you well. Stay Safe!