Swedish Meatballs

In the midst of my Christmas cookie baking countdown, I asked my kids what they would like me to make for them.  The answer was....Swedish Meatballs.  I hadn't made them in several years so it was nice to make them again.

Seventy-eight meatballs takes a while to make.  I quadrupled the recipe because now that my kids are married, when I cook for them, I cook for four.  Including us that makes six and if my 'go-zintas' are correct, that is 13 meatballs each.  Enough for dinner for six and leftovers.  I don't know about other people but this family loves meatballs.  And meatballs flavored with nutmeg, onions and garlic are just little balls of heaven. Especially when coated with a rich, creamy, delicious gravy.



Here's the single recipe:

Ingredients

  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
  • 1 tablespoon parsley chopped
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • ¼ cup onion finely chopped
  • ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
  • teaspoon Pepper
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tbsp. olive oil
  • 5 tbsp. butter
  • 3 tbsp. flour
  • 2 cups beef broth
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
  • salt and pepper to taste




  1. In a medium sized bowl combine ground beef, panko, parsley, allspice, nutmeg, onion, garlic powder, pepper, salt and egg. Mix until combined.


  1. Roll into 12 large meatballs or 20 small meatballs. In a large skillet heat olive oil and 1 Tablespoon butter. Add the meatballs and cook turning continuously until brown on each side and cooked throughout. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil.


  1. Add 4 Tablespoons butter and flour to skillet and whisk until it turns brown. Slowly stir in beef broth and heavy cream. Add worchestershire sauce and dijon mustard and bring to a simmer until sauce starts to thicken. Salt and pepper to taste.
  2. Add the meatballs back to the skillet and simmer for another 1-2 minutes. Serve over egg noodles


  1. Add the meatballs back to the skillet and simmer for another 1-2 minutes. Serve over egg noodles



Everyone really enjoyed these.


 

Comments

Leanna said…
OMG! I love these. It looks like the perfect cold weather comfort food.
Laura said…
the only swedish meatballs i've ever had came from a lean cuisine package. they weren't very good. these look delicious and i'm definitely going to have try them.
love, kisses & magical wishes...
~*~

ps...hugs to the pups
Leanne said…
I bet your kids will be thrilled and their partners... perk of being in the family no doubt is you feed them too xx
Truly Swedish meatballs :-)

I will have meatballs at christmas, very traditional dish on our yulebord over here :-)

Have a great day!

Christer.
I must confess that I buy my Swedish meatballs frozen at IKEA. Their packaged gravy too.
Guillaume said…
They looks yummy. I have been to Sweden, but never ate meatballs there.
Rain said…
Oh gosh Joyce, those look so delicious....I wonder if I could ground up some chicken and make them that way? I'm not much into beef and pork.
Char said…
Thank you so much for this recipe. I made these last night and my husband said, "Make sure you keep this recipe!" We absolutely loved them!!!