Homemade Bread Bowls

Ever since my kids were little, they loved to eat creamy soup in bread bowls.  I hadn't made bread bowls in a very long time.  We have had frigid weather which means soup weather and I thought I would surprise everyone and make them bread bowls.


This is a very easy recipe and comes together in no time at all:

ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 c. water
  • 2 T. yeast
  • 1 T. sugar
  • 3 1/2 c. to 4 1/2 c. bread flour
  • 1 t. salt
  • 1 T. butter, optional
Mix together water, yeast and sugar. Let sit for about 5 minutes until yeast has dissolved and expanded.In a mixer, add 3 1/2 c. flour, salt and yeast. Mix together. Add the remaining cup of flour 1/4 cup at a time, mixing after each addition, until dough comes together and is not overly sticky. You may not need all of the flour. (I used 3-1/2 and added very little more.) Knead for 5 minutes until smooth and elastic.  Spritz the dough with water, cover and let dough rise for 30 minutes. Divide dough into 6 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball. Place on a parchment covered baking sheet. Spray each roll with 2-3 mists of water from a spray bottle.  Cover and let rise for 15 minutes.  Bake at 500 degrees for 2 minutes. Spray with additional mists of water. Lower heat to 400 degrees and bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown
 
.
 
 
 



I made a big pot of creamy cheddar, potato, broccoli and cauliflower soup to go in the bowls.


Dip the lid in the soup as you eat it and then eat the bowls!



 

Comments

I love bread bowls too! Filled with creamy soup! Yum!
I've never tried this, perhaps I should :-)

Have a great day!

Christer.
That looks so warming, delicious, creamy.
TARYTERRE said…
yum yum yum. presentation is everything.