An Unfitted Kitchen

You might remember that eleven months ago, I tackled the basement at my guest house.  Back then I was cleaning it up in preparation for my daughter's wedding. We thought that the caterers might need to set up down there. Thanks to covid, the wedding was postponed and they ended up getting married at city hall by themselves.


However, as I worked in this dreary area I came up with an idea to build a kitchen, a basement kitchen.  The project started at 6:00 yesterday morning.
 
I think that unfitted kitchens are going to make a comeback and that is exactly what I am building.


I've always been attracted to this type of kitchen so I can't wait to see how this finally turns out.


There will be no built-ins.  I will be using old French furniture for counters and storage.


I spent a lot of time yesterday looking for my sink. I haven't found it yet but I do have some ideas as to what I want.



It's going to take some time to find things that work for this kitchen but most importantly, fit.  Yesterday, a jackhammer was taken to the floor and right now it looks like a war zone.  I hope to get some pics later and then you can follow as this project  moves forward.  I will end up with cement floors with brass drains so I can literally hose it down if needed.  It will be a bit funky to say the least.  There will be exposed pipes and wires but I think it will be fun. This is the kind of project that will constantly change as it evolves.  I am adding a bathroom and a craft room too. My workers start early which means I will be up by 4:00 am each morning to get a few things done at the main house before I have to meet them at the guest house to start each day.  I've done many projects over the years but never one that I am uncertain about the final look.  It's scary and exciting.

Comments

Valerie said…
Oh, it's going to be awesome!
Mary V said…
I can’t wait for photos of the fun, exciting.
Rajani Rehana said…
Please read my post
Megs said…
I’m excited to see this. Your ideas are so good. I’m redoing my kitchen, and using black soapstone for counters and the sink. You seal it once a year, then can put hot dishes on it, but it can nick if hit hard enough. It darkens with age. I grew up in an old house with soapstone and has always wanted it.
Marcia said…
I have never heard that term "unfitted kitchen". I must not be reading the right magazines. I'll be curious to see what you end up with.
Well if the finished result will look anything like these photos it'll be amazing!

Have a great day!

Christer.
Mary Bolton said…
I am excited for you! I follow Farmhouse Vernacular blogspot. She explained her approach to unfitted. Started with a wonderful old sink.
Unknown said…
You are just the most interesting woman ! I wish I had half of your inspiration and energy.
Jan said…
This sounds like so much fun. I love that old porcelain sink. I have been looking for an old one that is big and deep, for my garage, right next to my potting bench.
Bee Haven Bev said…
I love to watch a good renovation and I am sure yours will turn out fabulous!!!
1st Man said…
You: An unfitted kitchen

Me: Unfitted kitchen? What's that?

2nd Man: Unfitted kitchen? Let me look on google. Oh my God that's the name for the style I like!

Me: We'll be up until 2am looking at pictures!
Unknown said…
Those unfitted kitchens are cool. I really liked that last one. It'll be fun to see the progress. Cement floors that you can hose down? That's what I need so I can mop my floors more than just once a year.
I love this style, always have.
Guillaume said…
I admire your determination. I wouldn't have the energy or discipline to start such a big project.
Michele said…
How exciting! After raising two children who had a white sand playground at their school, I've always dreamt of concrete floors with drains. I still want them and my kids are 27 and 29 and don't even live here!
Kathryn said…
Will this 2nd basement kitchen be for canning or baking or just to have a basement kitchen?
Laura said…
oh wow! that sounds so exciting! i love your inspiration photos here. i look forward to watching it progress.

love, kisses & magical wishes...
~*~

ps...hugs to the pups