Basement Project Update

My new steel beam!  This thing weighs 1000 lbs..  Now the two old posts can come out. I go down to the guest house on the weekends to check the progress and take pics to document it.


A bit blurry but it is bolted from side to side. It is made up of two pieces of steel which line the old wooden one and are sunk into the walls.  In other words, this reinforces the old original beam.


I am so impressed with the job these guys are doing.  They added these extra 2 X 4"s to give extra support.

The chunk sticking out of the wall is the old cement support that was under the wooden beam so they added extra 2 X 4's under it as well.

You can see the outline of the old boiler room on the floor.  I gained this additional space in the kitchen by moving them.
Remember what the bathroom looked like a few weeks ago?

Here it is now with a new cement floor.

These two large supports will eventually be wrapped in wood so they will look like wooden posts when the project is complete.


Here is a better pic of the support for the steel beam.  I know that for 99% of people this stuff is really boring but I can't get enough of it.  I love these projects.  It will be nice to have these photos to look back at too.


The wheelbarrow sits in the new boiler room.


I took a few pics of the lower garden while I was there.  I have some small sunflowers growing.


I desperately need the tree guys to do their scheduled work.  My garden is doing horribly because of the lack of sunlight.


All of that green area on the upper left is weeds.  They seem to not mind the lack of sun. Below is the result of almost an hour of weeding.  They have very deep roots.


This is another blurry pic but this is the newest art addition to the garden.  It's made of steel and I love it. If you click on it, it will enlarge.

Comments

I like to see how things are moving forward! Lots of work done and more to be done.

Weeds do thrive where no other plants do :-) Over here it's especially stinging nettles, I have lots of them :-) :-)

Have a great day!

Christer.
Progress is always exciting!
Marsha said…
I too love the quote - thank you. The song, by the way, was written by Bob Thiele (as "George Douglas") and George David Weiss; Weiss said in a book that he wrote the song specifically for Louis Armstrong. There's a fascinating story behind the original recording - uplifting, too, in quite the spirit of the song!
Guillaume said…
I am very impressed. It takes me ages just to do the washing up.
Mike said…
With the cost of lumber these days, those extra 2x4's could double the cost of the project! :) HA!
These kinds of construction pictures never bore me. It is exciting.
1st Man said…
This is going to be SO amazing when done. And I LOVE the plaque. What a great quote to have outside in a garden setting. Lovely!
This isn't boring at all, I watched 40+ years of This Old House, so the process is fascinating. I can't wait to see the finished project, and enjoying the journey there is so fun. Thank you.
Kathryn said…
Lovely art addition to the garden.