Italian Hoagies


 

This is what I fed my workers yesterday, Italian hoagies.
 

I made a fresh tomato sauce by sauteing some of my cherry tomatoes in a bit of olive oil with salt and pepper.


First I split and brushed the hoagie rolls with garlic butter and broiled them until crisp.  Then I layered both sides of the rolls with provolone cheese and spread them with the tomato sauce and thinly sliced onions and stuck them back under the broiler just until the cheese began to melt.  When I took them out I brushed them with Italian salad dressing I made.


Once again, I forgot a few pics but I then layered these with salami, ham, pepperoni, mortadello, proscuitto, pepperoncini's and mozzarella cheese. Then I placed the top rolls on and  brushed the top of the buns with more garlic butter and wrapped them tightly in foil and baked them at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.

The guys loved them.  You can add lettuce before serving if you want but I was trying to not make them too messy for the guys so I skipped it.


 



 

  • 2 1/4 tsp instant yeast
  • 3 1/2 to 4 cups bread flour or all purpose flour
  • 2 T sugar
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 1/3 cups warm water
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
  •  
  •  
  •  Mix ingredients together and knead until smooth.  The dough will be sticky.  Place it in a buttered bowl, cover and let rise until doubled. Form into individual rolls or long rolls if making large ones.  Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.  Bake at 350 degrees 20-30 minutes depending on the size you make them.

Comments

Reading all about the hoagies made me so hungry! Those look wonderful.
I bet your workers don't want to go home at the end of the day!
Susan said…
Your contractors must loving working at your house. The meals and pastries you are making for them are outstanding. Their work will be a great as the meals...
There would have been something wrong with those guys if they hadn't loved it :-) :-)

Have a great day!

Christer.
Guillaume said…
When I think of the lousy lunches I have every day...
Unknown said…
I knew those hoagies were gonna be good. I just knew it. Don't be surprised if they hang around until dinner time too.
Tech Cloud Ltd said…
Thanks for sharing such a mouth-watering recipe. I like to capture and edit delicious food images as I’m working on an image post-production platform for editing the images. Anyways very good sharing; please keep sharing more. I’ll definitely visit your blog again. image post-production