A Birthday Surprise

One of my friends was gone for 10 days on vacation and she arrived back in the wee hours of yesterday morning; on her birthday.  I knew she had no food at home and would be jet lagged so I made her a surprise birthday dinner.  My Daughter baked her this cake.


A double chocolate cake frosted with chocolate buttercream  and drizzled with a decadent ganache.


She topped it with swirls of buttercream  with homemade truffles and edible butterflies.


How perfect!  I don't know that I would ever have the patience to make something like this.  She is such a superb cake baker and they taste even better than they look.


I made her a comfort food dinner.  I roasted a chicken, made mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce, stuffing and corn off the cob.  And potato rolls with ramp butter.  It was all dropped off at her house so she could eat it in her lazy clothes!
 

Comments

Mary V said…
Oh my ,that is indeed some cake! What a great friend you are for cooking for your friend. All sounds yummy to me.
Guillaume said…
Oh this cake, this cake!!! I cannot for the life of me make a cak like this for my boyon his upcoming birthday. Which is really sad.
Chocolate heaven :-)

Have a great day!

Christer.
Kathryn said…
Thoughtful and kind of you . Thanks for helping me get emails again.
K~
wranglerkate said…
You and your daughter are such thoughtful friends! Such a lovely thing to do.
My birthday is Sept 11. We could be friends.
Susan Heather said…
Can I be your friend - that sounds yummy.
Kay said…
You are the best kind of friend to have. Your daughter is a chip off the ol’ block. That is the most awesome cake I’ve ever seen.
Unknown said…
I wish I had a friend who made me a mini Thanksgiving meal in August. And that cake for dessert to top it all off. Your friend is lucky to have friends like you and your daughter.
Herbalgirl said…
I don’t comment often but I found this act of generosity and kindness so moving. Everything was thought out for the comfort and joy of your neighbor. I know you and your family do these kinds of things a lot as I’ve followed your blog for years. Your kind heart is so needed in this rough world. I also appreciate your no-holds-barred political positions that acknowledge, with humor, that we are all connected, despite the best efforts of Trump and his ilk.
Deb
Absolutely gorgeous cake,what a lovely and kind thing to cook for your friend. You have such a good heart.