The Basement Project

Here is the latest update on my guest house basement project. The tile guy started to work on the bathroom today.  Dry wall is color coded these days so don't think I am painting my bathroom purple!

 


 Remember this? Even with purple dry wall it is looking much better.


The lower floor has no closets so I tucked a jacket closet under this new set of stairs.


Today, they pulled the old hard sheets of plastic off of the walls to reveal this.  Pretty ugly and horrible.  This is all going to be scraped down, water sealed and then coated with plaster.


I told the guys that these creepy areas, where you could see insulation above the stone walls, was freaking me out.  I told them I could see eyes looking at me (I couldn't, but you know what I mean!).  So, they closed them all up using 2 X 12's between the joists. Yay!


I had them put a small pantry under the stairs on the other side of the basement.  This will be lined with shelves. I have one not much bigger in my main house and it holds a lot of stuff. My new refrigerator will be placed just to the right of this little pantry.

The basement floor is so uneven that they had to build a leveled base to set all of my appliances on.  This kitchen is going to be quirky to say the least.

This is the area by the front basement door on the kitchen side.  They pulled the plastic off of these walls too.  Lots of ugly!

I have other things being done throughout the guest house.  The areas at the bottom of the stairs that lead to the top floors on either side of the house have been pitch black since the first redo that I did on this place.  I had two mirrors made by an artist in Saratoga Springs years and years ago.  They have hung on the walls just inside the front doors for all of these years and these areas were so dark that you couldn't even see them.


I had the electricians add recessed lighting in these spots and voila!  Light! I can see the front doors too.  The biggest bonus is that I forgot that there were radiators under both mirrors.  I see no reason why they can't be removed which will be so much better for moving furniture to the top floors.  I will find out tomorrow but as far as I am concerned, they are gone.  Every time I remove a radiator, I can remove more exposed pipes in the basement! It's been a long time coming and so much work has been done that is not glamorous, but, soon, the fun stuff will start to happen and then things will go pretty fast. We should be ready to start painting in about 3-4 weeks.  Then shelves will be built.  I am going to have a lot of open shelving.  The appliances will not be here until at least the end of October.  Stay tuned if you like this kind of project.  It will be fun to see the final result.


Comments

Valerie said…
I love seeing the photos of the progress you are making--I'm renovating vicariously through you!
Guillaume said…
That looks really nice.
So they color code them now days! Well purple isn't that bad :-)

I too would have seen eyes looking down at me so I fully understand You :-) :-)

Have a great day!

Christer.
Unknown said…
It's really coming along. Of course I'm looking forward to seeing the fun stuff. Its going to look awesome when it's all done. Even the purple bathroom. LOL Kidding!
Kay said…
You have the most gorgeous house and gardens. Now you’ll have a guest house that’s going to be spectacular too.