A Festival in the Woods

My Daughter and I were the first one's through the gate as we visited one of our favorite Fall festivals.  It was a brisk Autumn day and just perfect for festival going. We wanted to get in before the crowds because unfortunately, people in this area are antivaxxers.


Roasting coffee the old fashioned way.
A trapper decorates the woods with some of his specimens.

This fair has many vendors selling home remedies that have been made for generations.
This booth sells soaps and salves.
Do you like apple butter?
They cook it right here over an open fire.
You can buy a slice of fresh bread spread with warm apple butter.
The pottery was very tempting.
It is wonderful to walk through the woods with the smell of wood smoke in the air.
Maple syrup is boiled in a pot over a fire to make spotza.
Spotza
One of the unique foods derived from maple syrup is called Spotza.  Spotza is made by boiling maple syrup down to the soft ball stage (about 238 degrees F) and then pouring it over crushed ice. This forms soft, clear taffy which should be eaten immediately in order to obtain its full value.  The early settlers learned about spotza from the Indians, who would pour boiled maple syrup on the snow. The name spotza comes from the Pennsylvania Dutch word for "spot on the snow". 
Barn stars and buckets made by a cooper.

This booth sells early American tools.
Wool spinning.

A rat catcher and two of his catches.
This is a good way to build trellises.
A covered bridge runs over the creek.
A colorful handmade basket.
I should have bought this gourd with the ravens.  I'll show you tomorrow what I did buy.
What can be better in Fall than driving down a road like this through the mountains?
Past historical houses.
Lots of log cabins.
Through quaint little towns with village greens.
And cute shops selling everything Autumn.
It was a wonderful way to start our festival season.

 

Comments

Eating maple syrup poured on snow is a tradition in Canada too, as you know. But the term "spotza" isn't used here -- it's the first I've heard of it! There's probably a French term for it but I don't know what it is. But one thing is for sure -- yummy!
I wish we had something like that over here!

Have a great day!

Christer.
jaime said…
Maple taffy (sometimes maple toffee in English-speaking Canada, tire d'érable or tire sur la neige in French-speaking Canada; also sugar on snow or candy on the snow or leather aprons in the United States, among other names such as ‘spotza’, which we all learned today and is such a wonderfully descriptive name.
May I ask where this fair was? I live in NOVA and am always curious about where you go specifically?

By the way- the wooden, metal and glass door you restored is spectacular. Those window/eyes!

Regards.

Stephanie
Leanna said…
SQUEEEEEEEEEEE!!!
I love your trips to the country. I would have brought a little wagon to put all my bought items. I just could never see myself not buying at least $300 worth of goods.
Guillaume said…
My sort of festival, so perfect for autumn (although for me maple syrup is a springtime thing.)
Unknown said…
There is nothing more wonderful in life than the smell of wood smoke. We should be smelling it in another month around these parts. Our wood is unique to our area and smells amazing. Glad you and your daughter had a good time.
Kathryn said…
Thanks so much for taking me along for the ride.
K~