Update

The first piece of furniture has been placed in the TV room.  See the levels?  A level might be the most important tool used in this entire project.


It's centered on the wall, leveled and covered.  No one covered anything upstairs before the painters sprayed the basement ceiling to apply the first coats and paint spray covered every single thing in the rest of the house.  We have to get restoration people to come in at the end of the project to clean it.  You really have to have a certain mindset before you start a project like this or you could lose your mind.  Now I make them cover everything. 


The floor in the new kitchen is so uneven that they had to pour a footer to level my big antique piece.


Leveled with cement!  You might notice that a pipe had to be notched in so it can run through the top.  Once again, this house was built into the side of a mountain.  When they dug the foundation and hit shale, they just cemented over it.  So, the floor is totally uneven and if I wanted to even it out, I would have had to excavate the entire basement.  I decided to go with quirky.


I have lights!  I chose to use light strips up in the rafters.  They are on dimmers so I can tone them down when I want to but they sure have brightened up this place.


Even the mechanics for the lights are complicated.


The bathroom pocket door is in place and they can't find the hardware I bought for it.  The head carpenter that quit right before Thanksgiving walked without telling anyone anything.  It's made this project even more interesting!


I have shelves in the little kitchen pantry under the stairs.  In the beginning of this project I wanted to move the laundry area from one side of the house to the other.  The foreman talked me out of it.  When my washer and dryer was installed, it took up so much room that it semi blocked the stairs.  Now the laundry is being moved to where I originally wanted it.


However, to do so, another doorway to hell had to be opened.  Stay tuned for future updates....haha, this project might never end.
 

Comments

It will all be worth it in the end, I'm sure!
If the contractor had done things the way I wanted the first time, life for almost 40 years in that house would have been easier and less expensive.

I had someone cover my whole kitchen in swaths of plastic even though the worker laughed and said all the sawing would not leave sawdust all over. He was sawing out cabinet section. He was shocked at all the sawdust to the ceiling and all over the lower cabinet covered with plastic cloths.
Mary V said…
I had to laugh, when my husband does anything inside or out there is always a level. Even to make sure the birdbath is level, hahahaha. Actually he usually has two …to level the level!!!
Quirky is good :-)

I'm a bit surprised that they didn't think of covering anything before starting to spray paint! Did they really think the paint wouldn't fly around everywhere? :-)

It is already looking really good!

Have a great day!

Christer.
Susan said…
Oh, the joys (Hell) of home renovation. Dust, delays, re-does, missing parts. Love your wall system and can't wait to hear about the laundry changes (that's a big hole!).
Guillaume said…
Looking like it's progressing.
DrumMajor said…
Those are stunning pieces of antique furniture. I love the base to level it. Seems you could paint a pattern on the floor to have a marble track rolling down hill. Sorry the handle walked off. Bummer. Hang in there! It is uniquely your project! Linda in Kansas
Unknown said…
That antique hutch is absolutely gorgeous! Between your renovations and caring for Willie, I hope you're taking some time to enjoy the Christmas holiday.