New Years Dinner

I had planned on having my kids and their spouses over for dinner yesterday.  The Chef had a much needed day off after a wicked holiday schedule.  However, though my daughter- in-law no longer had symptoms, she was still testing positive for covid.  The Blog Tech is still testing negative.  After much discussion, we decided it would be another porch delivery dinner.  People still had good food and got to relax all day.  I decided to go full on Polish for the meal which had everyone very excited. I made many, many pieogies.


And a wonderful stuffed pork roast.


The roast was served with a rich gravy.  My kids love it when I make roasts so they were very happy.


And since it was Polish food, I had to make halushki.

I surprised everyone with Polish potato salad too.


And mizeria, Polish cucumber salad.

Though these were not Polish, I wanted to try a new recipe for rolls so I made these:

Ingredients  

  • 1 cup warm water
  • 1 cup warm milk
  • 2 large eggs room temperature
  • cup unsalted butter melted and cooled
  • ½ cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 8 cups bread flour
  • 2 tablespoon active dry yeast

Instructions 

 

Use your mixer and add  water, milk, eggs, sugar, butter, 3-½ cups flour, salt, yeast.

Stir on low setting until the mixture starts to come together. This will be a wet, loose dough.

Scrape down the sides of your mixer and stir with the dough hook another two minutes.

Add remaining flour, ½ cup at a time, stirring with the dough hook on low until combined, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl occasionally.

Knead the dough for another 3-4 minutes. The dough will pull away from the bowl.

Remove the dough from the bowl and place it in a large buttered bowl. Cover and proof it for an hour or until doubled in size.

Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Cut the dough in half. Then cut each piece in half two more times (you will have 8 sections). Cut each of those sections into 4 equal pieces. You should have 24 rolls.

Shape roll and place in 1-9x13 pan (18 rolls 3 across and 5 down) and in a 9x5 loaf pan (2 across and 3 down). Let dough rise for 1 hour.

Bake the rolls at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until rolls are golden brown. Remove from oven and immediately brush tops with butter.

Comments

Bee Haven Bev said…
Looks like a delicious meal!
Marcia LaRue said…
I agree with Bev (BHA) above ... it all looks delicious!
Mary V said…
Looks wonderful, bet it taste even better. Every time you talk about porch deliveries I check my porch..so far none for me!
If all that good Polish food doesn't cure your DIL's covid, I don't know what will! LOL, if only things were that simple, eh?
Mystica said…
A bit late but all the very best for 2022.
Susan said…
Your full on Polish meal looks outstanding. Sorry to hear your DIL is dealing with Covid.
Rain said…
Lucky family! I could dive right into those pierogies!!!
TARYTERRE said…
Everything looks absolutely scrumptious. Happy New Year. I've been down for the count with back problems, in tremendous pain. the holidays were miserable. thats why i haven't been commenting or writing. hope 2022 finds us both where we need to be.