Eggs

For the first time since early October, My Daughter and I drove to Amish country to check out the shops.  I needed fresh eggs in the worst way.


We visited with this little girl at one of our stops.  We bought her an apple.

We also gave her some carrots too.  She was very happy to see us.
 



And look at this beautiful basket of eggs I bought.


Four dozen eggs for 7.00.  Store bought eggs cost me almost this much for one dozen during this crazy inflation.  Besides these, I bought another 10 dozen farm fresh eggs.

I also found 'old cabbage'.  You might have to be Eastern European to understand what a find this is.  This is the kind of cabbage you use to make cabbage pierogies.  They are dry and the flavor is condensed, perfect for pierogie making which will happen here next week! And you will notice that I got something that looks quite like a pumpkin!  YES!!!  I know it's just a squash but it looks like a pumpkin to me.


We will see how long I can keep him alive. February pumpkin!!!
 

Comments

Marcia LaRue said…
That is an awful lot of eggs ... How long will they last you?
At first that pumpkin-looking squash looked like a large bell pepper!
What a deal you got on those eggs! Yowza!
I'm waiting for my work friends hen to start laying eggs again, until then I need to buy in the store.

Have a great day!

Christer.
Guillaume said…
Love the goat. I do coleslaw with cabbage. I got quite good at it.
1st Man said…
Wait, four dozen and then TEN dozen more? Wow!! You have some great cooking coming up!!! What a stall I feel your pain with store bought eggs, the brand 2nd Man likes is a little over $5/dozen. He likes them because they always have deep orange yolks but wow, it's crazy how pricey they are. Can't wait to have our own fresh eggs someday.
I paid over $5 for 1.5 dozen eggs! Then, I found eggs at $3.49 For the same 1.5 doz. So, I have 3 doz eggs for $9. I love eggs! That squash sure fooled me as it looks very pumpkinish.
Leanna said…
There is a place on the side of the road near Lake McQueenie that I go to every now and then. This farmer has everything you could think of. I picked up three dozen fresh brown eggs for my baking needs and two dozen for just plain eating. I bought green beans, leeks, tomatoes, cabbage, beets, and spaghetti squash. I think I spent only $11 on the whole lot. I also traded my last bunch of plastic shopping bags to him for carrots. The kids are coming down from Austin this coming week to stay for a while, their new place is being fumigated and repainted. I can't wait. I get to actually cook and bake like a demon.
Helen said…
Laughing at you wondering how long your pumpkin/squash will last. I am a retired biology teacher and I used to buy pumpkins (around Halloween) and always took one to class. One year I had it on the shelf and Halloween had past (I did not carve it) and I thought will, it's as decorative for Thanksgiving. Then it was a few short weeks to Christmas...so I put a "Happy/Merry Christmas" sort of note on it. Then after winter break I put a Happy New Year, and then, and then...the holidays came and went and the pumpkin remained, and I wondered if it would make it to Graduation. Well, our school (DoDDS - Overseas) did not get out until the second week of June (usually) and the pumpkin almost made it. Somewhere around the first week of June I had to 'scrape' it off into the garbage can. It was pretty oozy. lol.