Basement Progress

It's been a while since I have shown any basement progress but the inside is close to being completed and then the work on the outside can finally begin. My carpenter hung my iron hands on the wall under my new kitchen TV so they can hold the channel control.  Being the funny guy he is, he hung some baskets on them as a joke.


I have two hand-carved sets of monk faces, made by monks over a hundred years ago and they portray the 7 deadly sins.  I hung one over each of the new basement doors so you can see them when you leave. A reminder of what you shouldn't be doing out there.  I bet the monks that carved them never envisioned them ending up here.

This is what they look like closeup.



The basement stairs have been painted and are ready for carpeting to be installed next week.
 

The W's had their first visit to see what is going on in their playhouse.  When they visit the guest house they think it is playtime.  They run all over the place and check out every square inch. Don't they match well?


Willie finds a nap place in the new TV room.


This is a long narrow room and it will be used as a TV hangout.  Arranging it for ultimate viewing was a bit tricky but I think it will be great when it is finished.


That table has to be moved but the puppy can stay!  There is a lot of decorating to do but I bought this fabulous suede sofa from Anthropologie which will provide lots of seating and lounging in front of the television.  This is the trickiest room I have ever redone but I am betting when it is finished, it will be my favorite.


As you might remember, I have to live with a cement floor in this basement; there were no other viable options because of the way this house was built..  The painters sanded it and are just starting to paint it.  I can use area rugs over it but I will wait to pick them out until everything else is done.


A bit of paint makes a huge difference though.


It's time to start filling up the pantry. Hopefully, in not too long, I will be able to show this finished.

Comments

It's amazing how far it has come!
Susan said…
The renovation looks fabulous! The cement floor painted in gray is lovely. Your couch looks perfect; very comfy and an ideal fit. Love the carved monks above the door. (They say: one final thought before you leave...)
The sofa is fabulous! I love the drain in the floor. And, the monkey heads...lovely thought.
Megs said…
Everything looks so good! Is it wrong to like both versions of the floor?
DrumMajor said…
It's all amazing! LOVE how the cabinets are color matched with the Ws! The baskets in the hands aren't a bad idea. I was just about to request a photo with the Ws, and there they are! They really have a nice playhouse now! Linda in Kansas
Unknown said…
I'm loving that floor color, something I definitely would've chosen. Why are you gonna carpet over those beautiful stairs? That couch is gonna be so comfy for everyone on movie night. Just needs a beautiful oriental rug under it. Some baskets on those iron hands isn't a bad idea. Hi W's!
Guillaume said…
Looking better and better
Kay said…
I loved seeing these photos. It's looking really fabulous, Joyce!
Rain said…
It's all looking so great! I love those iron hands, how cute lol! And the monk faces are so well crafted! The floor looks great.