The Project Part 3


Besides redoing the basement of this house, I've been making changes on the other floors as well.  This house hasn't had anything done since we first fixed it up years ago when we bought it.  It was time for a refresh.  This is one side of the living room area.


I took the leaves out of the "Thanksgiving table" which significantly shortened it and I moved two leather wing chairs to the head and foot of the table.  You can see garbage bags and cardboard on the floor.  There is still a lot of cleaning to do.  Last summer, a painter sprayed the ceilings in the basement with white paint.  I did not see, until after the fact, that he had not covered anything on the other floors.  More importantly, he did not turn off the A/C or the fan on the system.  It picked up the paint spray and blew it out from the top of the house to the bottom.  It is on every single surface of this entire house.  It found every nook and cranny too.  We spend a considerable portion of each of our days cleaning.  And just when we think we have finished an area, we find more paint dust. I think it will take years before we get it all and I am not exaggerating. 


The dining room has a lot more room now that the table has been shortened.

This is the view out of the dining room doors.  It is soon to be a sea of green.  I planted so many perennials last year and I can't wait to see how many come up.  I have some fun things about to happen on this patio in conjunction with the rest of the outside work.

Back inside, I had the carpenters build covers over my radiators to provide areas to sit things.....like pumpkins!

 

I bought this bear footstool many years ago in Taos, NM and he has found a perfect spot to live now.


I took the Black Forest carvings down from over the mantels and hung some Winter paintings.

I hung the carvings on the front walls and am having my electricians add art lighting to highlight them.  My cigar store Indian was happy to get the paint spray cleaned off of him.


This is the painting on the other side.  Having a central, double fireplace is tricky when it comes to arranging furniture.  I'm still moving things around.


This is my antique apothecary cabinet in the breakfast kitchen.  These windows look out to my terraced garden which needs a ton of work which I will get to eventually. 

So, this completes the tour of the house for now.  Once I finish this floor and the top one, I will show more but that won't be for a while. Meanwhile, I will be dusting!

Comments

It all looks so nice. It is too bad about the paint dust all over. Did you ever tell him?
Valerie said…
Lovely home, warm and inviting! I love all your interesting artwork!
Susan said…
You have a stunning home and decor. Do contractors remember to manage dust/paint at their own homes? Most likely. I used a swifter to clean sawdust from walls. It worked well. I now want an apothecary cabinet just like yours.
That bear footstool rocks!
Bee Haven Bev said…
It's all just fabulous!
Megs said…
It all looks wonderful! I love the mountain lodge atmosphere, and the views.
What a headache with the paint! That happened to me once with drywall sanding, I never used that guy again, but it was a nightmare.
I love Taos,it is a magical place.
DrumMajor said…
I guess the painter's mistake shows that you have a good central air and heating system. It's all beautiful, even if we can't see the paint dust.
Linda in Kansas
Guillaume said…
Your house looks gorgeous.I wish I had a place like this.
Mike said…
I read somewhere that dust is good for you. It builds up your immune system! Right?
Unknown said…
Sorry you are having to deal with all that paint dust. What a pain that must be. Ugh! Did he know what he did? If he works for you again, make sure he doesn't get any of your delicious food as punishment. LOL What a beautiful view from the dining room. It's gonna be even more glorious when those perennials come up. Been to Taos many times. It's a fun, quirky little mountain town isn't it? And the food? Yum!