The Ramp Festival

We had such a fun time at the ramp festival yesterday though it was 85 degrees by 10:00 am. This is the first ramp festival in three years.
 

We made a beeline for the ramp burgers.  


Ramps are ground up and mixed in with the ground beef.  They were really, really good.
 

Next up was a Venezuelan tent selling cachapas.  The name means, The Best Taste.

 

They are not wrong, these things are fantastic.  They are corn pancakes which you can get with pulled chicken, pulled pork or just cheese.


They are served with a ramp sauce that you could eat with a spoon....so good!
 

We brought home some ramp sausage sandwiches for my husband.  There are ramps in the sausage and then the sandwich is topped with sauteed ramps.

 


 One of the menus, click to enlarge.

Ziggy was the hit of the festival.  Everyone loves seeing and petting a bloodhound, even if they slobber.


Someone had a baby goat who was dressed in a onesie and wearing a diaper.


We were in the heart of Trump country.


I, for one, will go anywhere for ramps. Though the Trump atmosphere was really disgusting.  We drove past shrines to Trump on the way to the festival.  It's a crazy cult.


These were fantastic....Italian ramp arancini....fried ramp rice balls.


I bought a pair of ramp plates.


And two hand carved wooden spoons.
 

And 4 lbs. of ramps.  The bulbs were very small on them this year.  I hope that is not due to over- harvesting. I use the entire plan so I have plenty but I do like them with larger bulbs.


My wonderful daughter cleaned them for me, what a gift!


It took her 2 hours.


That is dedication.


Wrapped and chilled and ready to be turned into ramp butter which I freeze and use all year long.  I was afraid that I might not have bought enough of them so we looked around our area to see if anyone was selling them. We found a few people that had some but they were selling them for a dollar a ramp.  No No and No.  This morning I will be making ramp omelets for everyone, the best omelet you will you could ever eat!
 

Comments

Wow, you scored big time! Enjoy all the ramp goodies now and for the rest of the year!
Leanna said…
My Goddess!! The trumpers! You probably couldn't swing a dead cat(sorry) without hitting one. I love the ramp platters, so cute! I love when you show us your road trips and the cool stuff you buy. It's so interesting seeing places and I love when you go to get your eggs and other items from Amish country. You live in such a nice interesting part of the country.
I have a question on the ramp butter, do you make your butter from scratch with heavy cream? I just wondered.
Susan said…
Everything looks so good! Now I want to eat some Ramp festival food...
Rain said…
All that food looks delicious! Especially the cheesy patties! Ziggy is so adorable...I'm a hound lover that's for sure! Funny, my ramps aren't leafy, they are all twisted and swirly when they come up! I LOVE those ramp plates!!!
Guillaume said…
Everything looks yummy.
Kay said…
Gosh... I've still never eaten or seen a ramp. One of these days I shall have to look for it when we fly to the mainland.
Megs said…
Hillbilly Philly! I love those plates and the spoons. Everything looks great! I would chance the Trump mob, too for that. I’d have to keep my mouth shut, though. I used to love driving across the state, it now, it’s a little scary.
Susan Heather said…
I tried googling ramp and that didn't help but then googled ramp plant and found them. I see seeds are available in New Zealand so must order some. They sound good.
Sunshine said…
Where exactly does this magical fest take place?
Unknown said…
Glad you and your daughter had a good time at the ramp festival. So funny that there is a ramp festival. I hear they're onion-y and garlic-y, so hey, why not?. So sorry about all the Trumpers though, and their shrines to the orange water buffalo. Gross! Get a life already Trumpers. Move on. This idiot was driving in front of us today with a "let's go Brandon" logo painted on the back of his truck. Needless to say I flipped him off.
DVArtist said…
What a fun time. Lots of good looking food. I am with you, "they" are a strange cult.
JustGail said…
I've never had ramps, but they sound tasty. Onion/garlic flavor - how could that go wrong? With all your woodland area, is there a reason you don't try and plant some of those ramps with roots (maybe next year!) and start your own patch?
Richard said…
That looks like a wonderful day. The food looked good,and the ramp platters looked good too. Sorry about the cultists. We have plenty around here too. I'm just letting them back down slowly. Don't want them to lash out or get violent.