The First Amish Farmer's Market

Last weekend we went to the first spring farmer's market.  Though there was not much in the way of vegetables yet, there were lots of spring plants for sale.


There were also many booths selling crafts, baked goods and canned items.


I bought a carved owl for The Toy Woods.  His name is Hedgewick.


We drove past newly planted fields.  Soon these fields will be tall with corn.  Knee-high by the 4th of July!


And we drove over my favorite bridge.


Every time I cross this bridge it amazes me.  It's made from wood!  Look at how the boards are bent.



Even the sidewalk and railing is made of wood. 


This is the first year in a long time that I did not start my plants from seed.  The prices at the Amish market are so inexpensive that I think I saved money!  I don't get a lot of sun on this raised bed so this year I am trying a few things to see how they do. I planted two tomatoes and four peppers and I will be surprised if they produce anything at all.  What I do think will grow well is my celery. However, within days of planting it, a groundhog had a celery feast. I wasn't sure what to do so I moved my big birdhouse from my potting table, removed the floor from it and placed it over the celery.  As it grows I can just open the doors to clip the celery.

I filled the rest of the bed with merigolds and zinnias.  If they grow well enough, I will be able to have cut flowers to bring inside.

I have a few blackberry plants on hold to transplant along with the roses for my new iron arches.  I had to buy them before I need them because they sell out fast.  These won't be planted until July so they won't do much this year.

Hedgewick likes his new home.

 


Comments

Mary Bolton said…
Brilliant solution for the celery!Love your toy woods.
Hedgewick is a great name for an owl!
Mary V said…
Great idea to cover celery! I tried to grow some ( back when we though we would never get to the store again remember?)seems one of my cats just loves to rub her head all over it. So now I just grow for her!
DrumMajor said…
Did you hear my big chuckle about your cover cage for your celery? You are REALLY creative! That IS an amazing bridge. I wonder if it was a WPA project. That was a huge farmer's market. Mr. Hedgewick is just charming. Your garden is magical, thanks for the walk-through. Linda in Kansas
Susan said…
That's a very cleaver birdcage solution to protect the celery and it looks lovely in the garden. Hedgewick is adorable - good find. I used to think the scent of my dog would discourage wildlife but that makes no difference.
Leanna said…
You live in a special part of America. But then so does everyone if they take the time to look around. I do envy you though because you have black soil where we have sand or clay depending if we live near a river.
I did a first, I took sprouting sweet potatoes and cut them up, and planted them. I'm hoping they will yield a bunch of sweet potatoes for November. If they do, I plan on doing it again but also planting some Yukon Golds.
Guillaume said…
I love a good farmer's market. Sadly I don't go to the local one often enough.
Unknown said…
Hedgewick is cool. I like him. We love celery in the summer. I slice it up and eat it with sandwiches, instead of chips. We get the crunch and not the calories.