Pumpkins!!!


Be still my heart.  Though temps are back to the mid 90's, Fall is on the horizon. We were in Mennonite country on Friday and we found our first pumpkins.  It is always the most thrilling time of the year for me.


We were flying down a road when all of a sudden I spied this sign and the arrangement of orange orbs. I quickly made a U- turn and drove into the driveway.


It is officially my favorite time of the year.


Indian corn and tomatoes for sale. Two little old ladies own this place and they grow everything that you will see on the blog today.


Pumpkin fields everywhere.


And field after field of sunflowers.  Slava Ukraini!  We filled the car with all things good and headed home.


I couldn't wait to finish decorating the new planters.

I placed gourds in them along with marigolds which will bloom in orange and yellow.

And my first pumpkin is sitting on the outdoor sink.


I bought cabbage, sweet banana peppers and potatoes.


The best local peaches.


Tomatoes and pears that were just picked from the tree.


These are some of the most delicious plums I've ever eaten.


Candy onions and shallots.


Fried green tomatoes just might be happening later today.


My favorite Damson plums.


Dozens of corn and a big old watermelon.  We had stuffed banana peppers for dinner with sides of watermelon and corn on the cob.

And I placed jars full of sunflowers around the house.  Now I just need the temperature to drop about 40 degrees.



Comments

What gorgeous fruits and veg! I love seeing the first pumpkins sitting around in your yard!
Susan said…
What I wouldn't give to have a farm like this one nearby. These growers know what they are doing. You made some great purchases! I went to buy tomatoes at a farm (large grower in MA and NH) and the sole tom was Beefsteak; many bruised, battered and piled high.
It is all so pretty. I never seen cut sunflowers for sale.
Mary Ann said…
We are still some weeks away from ripe pumpkins here in Kansas, and I did not grow any this year... my volunteer vine were minis and only bore two before the sheep got them. However, at the farm museum where I have been a long-term volunteer, we planted a big field of them and we are having a Jack O'Lantern Jamboree on October 29... with hayrides, our train will be running, and simple country decorations, nothing too scary. I'm hoping we have a big pumpkin yield from our field there.
Unknown said…
All that fresh produce looks so yummy. Every single peach I have had this summer has been so sweet and delicious. I am just loving all the fresh abundance of produce. Gotta love harvest season! Not gonna lie though, I got a little excited when I saw your pumpkins. Fall is getting closer.
Leanne said…
sure is your fav time of year nearly here for you (and for me but spring/summer)..... Love Leanne NZ