A Pottery Tour

We drove east this weekend to take a self-guided pottery tour through Amish country.  Any direction I drive from where I live leads to Amish country so I spend a lot of time semi-communing with the Amish.


The scenery was gorgeous as we drove by shorn fields of corn and the glorious colorful leaves.


I can't remember a Fall as perfect as this one.


And we are enjoying each and every day of it.

We were also searching for pumpkins, who could have guessed!


 

This is My Daughter pointing out a field of pumpkins as she screams to pull over.

Bingo.


Jackpot.  This is the kind of place we are forever searching for.  We buy a LOT of pumpkins each year and a decent medium sized pumpkin in the city costs around 15-20 dollars. Huge pumpkins at this place were 4-5 dollars.  Most were 1-2 dollars.  We bought a lot, not enough, but a lot.


We finally arrived at the place where the tour started.

A perfect pottery shop railing.




We loved this woman's pottery.


A homemade kiln.


With a homemade kiln door...snakes!  It feels good to be amongst my people.


We spent the day driving from one potter to the next and soaked in the sites along the way.



There were so many pieces that tempted me but I came home with just one.  This is a butter dish and something that I will use on my Easter table with my collection of redware.


This is the dish it sits on.  I can't tell you how many times I have promised myself to never buy another piece of redware. But one little butter dish can't hurt can it?



Comments

All the pictures are beautiful. No, one little piece cannot hurt anything. It is so cute.
That is indeed beautiful pottery. I would have been tempted too!
Megs said…
What beautiful pictures, and pottery! I share your addition to redware.
Susan said…
Open land with long vistas and country scenes makes a wonderful Fall excursion. Amish pumpkin country is impressive. Your carrot motif butter dish is a lovely original design. These pieces always tempt me. You did well to buy one piece. My thinking in this situation is: I'll never see this again...buy.
Guillaume said…
Gorgeous pictures, as always.
Unknown said…
Loved all the pictures. So very Autumn-y. A pumpkin in the city costs 15-20 dollars? What? That's crazy! Are they lined with gold on the inside?
primdollie said…
Love all the beautiful pictures and I live near the Amish too but have never seen or heard of a pottery tour! Can I please ask where you live?? I’m in OH and love seeing all the pumpkins too and the butter dish you bought is gorgeous! Would love to see some of the potters you went to of here in OH! Thanks for sharing! I’ve followed your blog for some time and get your posts in my email! I enjoy seeing all the wonderful food and your puppies etc too! Thanks for sharing! Hugs Linda