Decadent Pasta Sauce

Hey, guess what?  I still cook!  I made this very easy, very rich and insanely good pasta sauce and I thought that you might want the recipe. I was already preparing it when it dawned on me so I will have to describe the first few steps.

Dice 1 medium onion and about 8 cloves of garlic. Dice about 8 slices of prosciutto.  Add 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil to a heavy open pan or pot and turn the heat to medium.  Saute' the onion and prosciutto until the onions begin to soften. Sprinkle in a teaspoon of cracked black pepper, a teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of oregano, some rosemary, a bay leaf, a teaspoon of thyme and some pepper flakes.  I also add tomato powder which I buy from Burlap and Barrel.  This will give you a concentrated tomato flavor without diluting the sauce with too many tomatoes. Continue to cook this to toast the spices.  Using a spoon, create a hole in the middle and add a small can of tomato paste.  Cook the paste until it turns a deep dark red color.


Stir this all together and keep cooking it over medium heat for a couple of minutes, stirring occasionally .


Add the garlic.
You will see a crust forming on the bottom of the pan.  That is a whole lot of flavor right there.


De-glaze the pan by adding about 1/2 cup of  hearty red wine.

The sauce will be thick. Cook this as you scrape all of those brown bits off of the bottom of the pan.


Add about 1 teaspoon of beef or veal demi glace' and stir to combine.


Add one small can of tomatoes which you have squashed with your hand.  I like to use canned cherry tomatoes from Italy.


Stir these into the rest of the ingredients.


Add a slight teaspoon of sugar.  The amount depends on how acidic your tomatoes are.  The cherry tomatoes are sweet and low in acidity so I use very little sugar.


You can add this or leave it out but I like to add about 1/4 teaspoon of liquid smoke.  It really enriches the sauce and gives it just a hint of smokiness.


At this point the sauce should be perfect but I like to add a couple pats of butter which adds taste and gives you a satiny finish.



 This sauce is simply amazing.

Comments

It looks amazing too! Mangia, mangia!
I was drooling while I read. It looks fantastic.
Megs said…
Thanks for a great recipe! I’ll try this this weekend!
Guillaume said…
Gosh it looks delicious.
Unknown said…
Yeah you still cook. That looks delicious. I'm dieting from now until Thanksgiving because I know I'll be overindulging Thanksgiving day and all weekend long. Thanksgiving is my absolute favorite day to eat and the leftovers are the best part of the weekend.
Rain said…
You still cook? LOL...so happy to hear it! ☺ The sauce does sound amazing!