Polish Food For The New Year

My kids and their spouses came over for dinner on New Years Day.  We have all been terribly busy so it was very nice to have a chance to finally sit down together with some good food and catch up.  I, as usual, forgot to take pics and just as everyone was about to dig in, my daughter yelled stop! She quickly took a few photos.  They had all requested Polish food and that is what they got!  I made potato and cheese pierogies covered in sauteed onions.


I also made potato and sauerkraut pierogies.


Mizeria is everyone's favorite. It's thinly sliced cucumbers with sour cream, dill, and a bit of sugar and vinegar. Polish sausages with horseradish were also served.


The top dish is bigos, Polish hunter's stew.  Halushki is in the middle and sauerkraut with pork ribs is on the bottom. There were loaves of homemade rye bread with an assortment of compound butters to eat with the stew.


More pierogies, one can never have enough pierogies.  These are lekvar and are filled with a prune filling sauteed in butter and sprinkled with poppy seeds and they are delicious. None of us took photos of the appetizers.  I made shrimp cocktails, smoked salmon spread and polish mistakes. Polish mistakes are small slices of rye bread topped with a sausage and cheese spread and baked. My kids ate so many that they were stuffed before dinner started.  We had caviar with a wonderful spread that my daughter made.




 And though this is not Polish, I surprised everyone with one of my trifles.  This took days to make.  It's comprised of two different cakes, decadent chocolate cream, raspberry sauce and rum flavored whipped cream.  The Chef couldn't believe how heavy it was when he placed it on the table. My daughter took The Blog Tech and his wife to her husband's restaurant for New Year's Eve where they ate course after course of the fabulous food he made for them and then they came on New Year's Day to eat my food. It was a very foodie weekend and a good way to start the new year. 

Comments

Marcia LaRue said…
Your feasts always look and sound absolutely fabulous! 7:15 a.m. here in S. Colorado and I am already drooling just looking at the pictures! Breakfast will be such a disappointment. LOL
What a feast! My Rare One and I are going out for a perogy lunch with all the fixings on Friday because it's Ukrainian Christmas Eve.
Susan said…
Your New Year's feast looks superb. What's not to like about Polish food? Outstanding in every way.
Mystica said…
A very happy New year
The food looks and sounds so good.