Peach Kuchen

I went to Amish country the other day to see what was in season.  The countryside was covered in corn.


I bought some wonderful peaches and decided to bake something that was my father's favorite, peach kuchen.


The Recipe:

    Instructions Preheat the oven to 400˚F. Grease a 9-inch springform pan or a 9 inch cake pan lined with parchment and set aside.   Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg in a mixing bowl and stir well with a whisk. Add the cold butter pieces and incorporate to blend with the flour until it becomes fine crumbs. 
    • In a small mixing bowl, whisk milk and egg well. Pour the milk mixture over the flour mixture. Mix with a fork just until it becomes wet.
    • Spread the batter on the bottom of the prepared pan. Arrange the peach slices on top. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
    • To make the custard cream, combine 1/4 cups of cream with flour in a medium mixing bowl, and whisk together to get rid of any lumps. Add the rest of the cream, sugar, egg, vanilla, and salt; whisk well to mix.
    • Take the cake out of oven, and pour the cream mixture on top. Put the cake back in the oven, and immediately reduce the heat to 350˚F. Continue to bake the cake for 35-40 minutes. When the cake top is puffed, the edges are deep golden and starting to separate from the pan, the cake is done, it should not jiggle in the middle.
    •  Cool the cake in the pan for 15 minutes, then remove it from the pan and let it cool completely on a cooling rack. I did not have a 9" springform so I left it in the pan.
     

  My Daughter has been buying old framed prints and paintings from thrift stores and then adds ghosts and bats and such to them.  Another fun Halloween project!
 

Comments

Mary V said…
Peach pie my favorite. Love the idea of adding ghosts to thrift store finds.I can see a gallery wall full of ghosts.
I love the altered art!
Where is the recipe? That sounds like a fun project.
Susan said…
Peach pie is my favorite too. Peaches and cream in your pie sound outstanding. Your daughter's art creativity is brilliant.
Guillaume said…
This looks so yummy! Oh and I LOVE the print. So spooky!