Christmas Nut Rolls

 Yesterday was nut roll baking day. I alwys use my mother's nut roll recipe.

 I start out by making the walnut filling and let it cool completely.

 I love making these and remember how at one time they seemed very difficult to make but now are such a breeze.

 You can find the full recipe here:   http://octoberfarm.blogspot.com/2016/12/polish-nut-roll.html


 Many, many years ago when I taught myself to make these, I was not much of a bread baker so these were intimidating.


 Now they are just a very relaxing bread baking experience.

 Nothing quite Zen's me out like bread baking does.

It's a wonderful recipe with beautiful results.





I made 8 of them.




Wrapped and ready to be given away.



I also made some pecan tassies.

 And I am still making salt rise bread almost every morning.  I have so many people counting on me doing this.  It will be frozen and handed out to everyone on New Years Day.  My one friend told me that she feels like a rich women having 3 loaves of salt rise in her freezer.  It is that good!

Comments

The sacred spiral of life!
Leanna said…
Everything looks so damned good. I took out three rolls of cookies from the freezer this morning and in a few minutes, I'm going to unroll the parchment and cut some cookies to bake. I'm looking forward to the trash cookies which has everything leftover from the other cookies I rolled and froze. That's chocolate chips, pecans, raisins, and coconut in a butter cookie mix. Soooo good.
TARYTERRE said…
looks delicious. i used to make bread years ago. i can almost smell your loaves baking. the nut rolls are amazing. you think of everything. i've been missing stollen the past 4 or 5 years so my mom is sending me one along with her fruitcake this year. can hardly wait.
Susan said…
Oh, how I used to love nut rolls! Growing up near Cleveland meant you were surrounded by the most wonderful ethnic food. Your nut rolls are beautiful! What is it that makes salt rise bread so special - the taste? texture?
Christer. said…
I really should try and bake some of those now when the christmas vacation soon is here. I do know I'll bake some bread anyway :-)

Have a great day!

Christer.
Rain said…
The nut rolls look delicious Joyce! I know that zen feeling when baking bread!!!
Everything looks so delicious. I have never baked anything like that. Banana bread and chocolate pound cake are my two breads.